Please Help Sex My New Rams :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would say that the one in the first picture COULD be a male, its hard to say with that picture. and the second and third picture look like females, I couldn't tell if they were the same fish.

Give them time! They are not going to show anything until they get fully adjusted to your tank and fish. This could take over a month or two! so just be patient and don't add anything so they can get adjusted if you want to see IF they pair off.

Kevin

I know I am leaving them inthere no matter what, that tank is complete now and I added some more plants to the tank. So my discus tank is complete. No more spending money :(. LOL.

What a great thread! The sexing of my rams has perplexed me for several weeks. Jchillin, it seems like the photos in that bio you posted could be much bigger, I had a hard time seeing any blue dots at all. Thanks for all the pics everyone, I'm gonna go home after work and sex my rams (maybe pics lol)

Edit: Haha sorry JChillin, those clicky pics are just fine, IE was on the fritz (again) . . .

Jchillin, What do you think of my new rams, i.e. there sex.

The first picture is hard to tell with the plants in the way.

IMO, the second picture is definitely a male. Notice the long extended dorsal fin, that ususally is a good indication of male.

And I'm pretty sure the 3rd picture is also a male.

img_517737_0_1245decd69f50db627fb6064e83612a5.jpg

Here is a female.

img_517737_1_a4bd9ce00e127f71b763177620cdc68e.jpg

This is what I would look at when trying to sex rams, certainly no guarantees though. This is from my personal experience.

1. Females are smaller with a rounder body.
2. The females have a rounder dorsal fin. A mature male will be more extended and even come to a point.
3. Females will have flourescent blue speckles around the black markings.
4. And of course the pink bellies

I personally have not seen any females sold around here. They are usually all males. Good luck!

Steven_Askham said:
Jchillin, What do you think of my new rams, i.e. there sex.

I agree with FawnN, the 2nd and 3rd pics are definitely male. The 1st pic is hard to tell due to the plants being in the way.

BTW FawnN - Beautiful looking Rams.

Back
Top Bottom