Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-07-2015, 12:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Please help - Sick Kribensis

We have a single female Krib who has become bloated, faded and lethargic resting on the bottom. She used to have a female friend who passed away naturally a month ago.

She's in a community tank and has gotten along very well for 2 years with our Rummy's, Gouramis and Rasbora.

She's always been very healthy.

I'm thinking this is bloat. I will move her to a hospital tank ASAP and start treatment. Any advice would be appreciated.

My second concern though are for her tankmates. How can I protect them from also getting sick? What steps can I take to "heal" the tank in case there's something they can all catch?

Thanks so much for any advice!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1423329351102.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	263560  

Old 02-07-2015, 12:46 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

She probably isn't contagious. You naturally always have things that can make your fish sick in your tank. What I think happened was your fish got depressed or stressed by the loss of her friend and her compromised immune system allowed her to become infected.

I doubt it is fungal or parasitic... It is probably bacterial. Treat her with a bunch of good water changes and if she doesn't show signs of improvement after 5-7 days, Melafix is a great product to use.

Old 02-07-2015, 02:22 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks Icy. Do you think I can keep her in the community tank or should I still quarantine her?

Old 02-08-2015, 01:10 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would keep her in the community for a week and see if she gets better. Try to keep the water as pristine as possible during this time with more frequent water changes.

After a week, if she shows no improvement, I would quarantine her and dose with melafix.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:42 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

She's no worse but no better :-(

Ive moved her to a 5G hospital tank with a nice strip of foliage (silk) she's using for comfort. She's so awesome. Even through she's so sick every time I go see her she wiggles out toward my face and sits with me.

I'm dosing with Melafix as instructed on the bottle. Running a bubble stone most of the day to maximize oxygen. Temp is at 80.

If she pulls through I'll get her a mate in a few weeks and make her happy again.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:48 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I hope she makes it, just ask if you have anymore questions.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:26 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

is she still eating?

I would move the fish to a quarantine tank and dose it with Metronidazole, your local fish store should have it in stock. If it is bloat, melafix is not going to cure it. Keep the water as clean as possible
Old 02-12-2015, 08:57 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quest84 View Post
is she still eating?

I would move the fish to a quarantine tank and dose it with Metronidazole, your local fish store should have it in stock. If it is bloat, melafix is not going to cure it. Keep the water as clean as possible
If it is bacterial, my understanding is melafix would cure it.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:59 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would grab a bottle of pimafix as well. Just incase it is parasitic.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:16 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

neither melafix or pimafix will cure bloat, you need Metronidazole or clout. If the fish is still eating you can also soak their food in metro and then feed it to them..good luck.

Tags
ick, krib, kribensis, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com