Please I.D. My attacker!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do your kenyi get on with your labs?
I was thinking of getting some.

So far yes, but they're juvies. the male kenyi & dominant male lab are the bosses of the tank but to eachother they just stay away.

thats weird...mine go straight into hiding everytime my hand goes in the tank for cleaning and i have a few meanies. good luck next time

kelbaker79 said:
My 3 Acei's attack my arm too, none of the others, just those 3...its so annoying!!

Yeah it really is! I was thinking of re doing the tank with all Cichlid rock caves but now I'm scared lol.

There just little babies man and they will love the cichlid stones.Have a look in my profile pictures and you will see my cichlid stones.I think they look cool!!!
It's my 30% pwc today so who knows maybe its my turn to get attacked.
I told you Africans had plenty of personality lol

nice personalities!! did u get them from an lfs or a home-aquarist? if it was from a home (friend or an ad somewhere) then they may have hand fed the fish and they associate hand = food!
thats a beautiful RZ.

how many females and males do u have? x

Mouth-Brooder-Fanatic said:
nice personalities!! did u get them from an lfs or a home-aquarist? if it was from a home (friend or an ad somewhere) then they may have hand fed the fish and they associate hand = food!
thats a beautiful RZ.

how many females and males do u have? x

Wish I knew the answer to your last question but I will ask my friend.

I got them from a good friend of mine who owns a lfs an does fw and sw accounts all over Westchester NY. He opened his shop up late one night and we hand picked them all from this huge tank he had. I was fun just to watch all.

I love when I feed them. They all come right up to the top of the water and some even jump!! Really cool to see and when I drop the pellets in.... Forget it, they all go crazy! The pellets sink after a few seconds but there so quick they never make it that far. I feed them every other day. This things look like they will eat all day.

I read up on bloat and other issues so I try to feed for 30 seconds or so making sure they get some but there so bunched up its a frenzy!! Really cool to watch though. I love these guys.

garfy said:
There just little babies man and they will love the cichlid stones.Have a look in my profile pictures and you will see my cichlid stones.I think they look cool!!!
It's my 30% pwc today so who knows maybe its my turn to get attacked.
I told you Africans had plenty of personality lol

Yeah saw your pictures! Love Love Love them!! I love those caves too!! Can't wait to get mine. My wife got me 2 15 packs. I'm gonna cut back on decor. Use the caves and driftwood and maybe my other rocks for the sides and a few fake plants. Definitely the big plant as it hides the filter.

I bought fake vines and wrapped them around the tubbing for the air stone it looks awesome!! So real how it floats with the current. When I get a chance I'll make some room and upload some updated shots of my tank in a new thread and maybe you along with others can give advice or input on how to set it up with all the rock caves.

Love the sound of the vines around the tubing for the air stone great idea :) I'm always looking for new ideas and I could use vines to go around my filter intakes.I used to have a big piece of cork bark in there but the bigger fish kept dislodging it lol.
Gonna get some more fish at the end of the month just not quite decided which ones yet.So many fish and so little time haha

garfy said:
Love the sound of the vines around the tubing for the air stone great idea :) I'm always looking for new ideas and I could use vines to go around my filter intakes.I used to have a big piece of cork bark in there but the bigger fish kept dislodging it lol.
Gonna get some more fish at the end of the month just not quite decided which ones yet.So many fish and so little time haha

I hear ya! That's why I wanted a bigger tank! But I'm gonna relax, the wife agreed on the sw tank for the bedroom so that's good. I'll have a beautiful tank in the living room an one in the bedroom. Only thing I don't like is I noticed the red sea max doesn't have blue (moonlighting) LED's they stay on with the other lighting and when you turn off the lights there's no option to keep the blue lights on. Hmmm... I'll have to fix that. Just did a 25% wc and dosed with Prime now in just relaxing on the couch watching the crew in the tank.

I always want a bigger tank.One day I'll have a huge 400g tank filled with giant African cichlids and my 143g will be a grow out tank for my fry lol.
Imagine how many logs,rocks,caves and plants it would take to decorate that baby :D

Here's some pics of the vines I mentioned before. What do you think about the tank? I wanna try all rock caves in center with the big plant still where it is hiding the filter and the smaller plants I'm gonna put at the corners.

View attachment 61204

View attachment 61205

View attachment 61206

Be honest too, I can take it... :)

So what do you think? Should I just leave it or try the rock caves? I have this whole set up drawn out and numerous pictures so it be put right back. Took me hours and hours to get this set up just right for me. But now I'm thinking about the fish. They seem very happy in there.

Ya know funny thing.... Totally off topic. I was always against keeping animals out of there natural habitat.

Last edited:
Like the vines think I'm gonna get some.
30 cichlid caves would take up quite a lot of space but I think you've got the room.
The tank looks amazing already but you won't know until you get the caves in and I think with plants and wood mixed in with them it will look truly fabulous.

Back
Top Bottom