Please ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ta very much.

If it's a male, a lot if those fish you have with it could be in trouble. If it's female you should be ok but don't keep it with anything too fragile. The dwarf rainbows might be borderline even with a female. If its got a lot of colour around the belly and on the dorsal it'll be female. Looking for mainly red but maybe a little yellow too.

You'll notice aggression with those guys moreso when you add new fish after they've been in there a little while. I made the mistake of adding a few smallish swords and it wasn't a pretty sight. And that was my relatively passive female.

Certainly don't get 2, because if you get them breeding it'll be carnage.

Is there any colour besides grey and black?
Convicts are pretty straight forward to sex.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402168177.344908.jpg
Bottom is the female orange belly and dorsal fin is rounded to body.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402168249.558198.jpg
Male dorsal fin has a more flare and triangular as it ends. No orange on the body.

They both have the blue and green fins cause of recently breeding.

They are evil little buggers lol.

That looks like a male if i had to guess but cant see the whole body.

If it's a male, a lot if those fish you have with it could be in trouble. If it's female you should be ok but don't keep it with anything too fragile. The dwarf rainbows might be borderline even with a female. If its got a lot of colour around the belly and on the dorsal it'll be female. Looking for mainly red but maybe a little yellow too.

You'll notice aggression with those guys moreso when you add new fish after they've been in there a little while. I made the mistake of adding a few smallish swords and it wasn't a pretty sight. And that was my relatively passive female.

Certainly don't get 2, because if you get them breeding it'll be carnage.

Thanks. This isn't my tank. I wouldn't stock like this :D I was just trying to ID for someone at work. When they mentioned they had got a cichlid I told them they would have problems but apparently all is well.... For now.

There are dozens, maybe up into the hundreds of peaceful species of cichlids. They tend to all get lumped as aggressive, but there are many species where this just isn't true. Sometime the only aggression you'll ever see in certain species (like cleithracara maronii, keyhole cichlid) is when they spawn, and even then some species will only give light chase, nothing more

Indeed, and much of the time they are actually being 'territorial' rather than 'aggressive' and there is a difference. Territorialism is easier to control than plain aggression. Going back to that original picture, it appears to have a yellow tail. The only pics i've seen of a convict with a yellow tail is when it's a convict crossed with a Sajica, so it's possibly that. Would need to see more pics to confirm.

Back
Top Bottom