Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-17-2014, 08:49 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Smile please tell me what you think of my tank !

there are 5 guppys in there i was just testing the water, but soon there will be some cichlids in there(i will of course remove the guppys) ,do tell me what cichlids will be good for this tank this is a 20 gallon tank
another thing, is circulation really important when it comes to keeping cichlids as i only have a normal filter, and is it ok to use gravel for them (as in the picture) ,all advice accepted this is my first cichlid tank, please tell me what you think

one more thing i am going to put a lot of plastic plants to make it look prettier

Click image for larger version

Name:	fiskabur1.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	228518

Click image for larger version

Name:	fiskabur2.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	228519

Old 03-17-2014, 01:05 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Welcome to the cichlid craze. There are several types of dwarf cichlids that would be suitable for a 20 gallon tank. Two of the most commonly available species are Kribs and Rams, both of which have a few different color morphs available. There are a lot of others as well, but many have to be special ordered. Most of the other commonly available cichlids, such as mbuna species, peacocks, Oscars, Jack Demsi, Parrots, etc. are suitable inhabitants for a 20 gallon tank.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 02:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wy Renegade View Post
Welcome to the cichlid craze. There are several types of dwarf cichlids that would be suitable for a 20 gallon tank. Two of the most commonly available species are Kribs and Rams, both of which have a few different color morphs available. There are a lot of others as well, but many have to be special ordered. Most of the other commonly available cichlids, such as mbuna species, peacocks, Oscars, Jack Demsi, Parrots, etc. are suitable inhabitants for a 20 gallon tank.
That's supposed to say are not suitable for a 20 gallon tank at the end.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 03-17-2014, 02:31 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem691 View Post
That's supposed to say are not suitable for a 20 gallon tank at the end.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Correct. Thank you for catching that .

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 02:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Try real plants and some dw. Plastic plants don't look nearly as nice.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:16 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Some java fern would be nice, also might want to add more hiding places, give some height to the tank.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:10 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Be careful with plastic plants. I have a silly cichlid that thinks it's completely acceptable to attack my plastic plants and teach the rest of my tank that it is social acceptable as well. I always have pieces of plants floating around that they've ripped apart.

Tags
tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com