Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-01-2017, 03:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Plecos

I have a new 55 gallon tank. I plan on adding cichlids with 2 plecos. I was thinking about going with one albino and one regular bristlenose pleco along with the cichlids. My question is will two be to much? They stay relatively small but I am new so any advice is appreciated!! I also plan on putting the plecos in as my first fish to get things going!

Old 06-01-2017, 03:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I'm new as well, but I will say from my research stay away from Flowerhorn Cichlids they are one of the most aggressive cichlids you can get. Nothing is safe from them.

Old 06-03-2017, 09:49 PM   #3

I'm new to FH's but have a beautiful one. Two days ago I put a pleco in with him because I believe they play a vital role in tank health. After my FH destroyed the 3 feeders he turned his sites to the pleco. The pleco hid and for the pst two days my FH "bubby" has had his sites locked onto him. Someone here told me they can damage they're lips so he's coming out. He will be staying by himself for now. I'd like to put my tire tracks in with him but I'm on the fence. I've also read if you put them in last it will be ok(youtubers) but honestly after seeing what I've seen the pst few days I don't see it being wise
Old 06-11-2017, 10:45 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Just remember, plecos are probably the filthiest fish to have on your tank. Have a small net handy for the poop scooping you will need to do several times a day. They make your plants look like a N Korean utility pole.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:21 AM   #5

Non existent??? Hahaha nice analogy
Old 08-20-2017, 01:28 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Plecos

I have kept this little Gold Nugget as well as a D.E Royal Pleco and bristlenose, together with both red and green terror cichlids, convicts, Africans: Dragon bloods, Eye bitters, Hongi, among others, for years with no problems. Avoid the common Pleco, too big and dirty. My Plecos keep the holey rock virtually algae free. Although some varieties of Pleco are huge waste makers, and damage plants, some won't. The bristlenose is a good one to keep. You will need a piece of driftwood for the Pleco to naw on. My Plecos aren't shy and can be viewed in the open day and night. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170521_132042.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	302853  

Tags
plec, pleco, plecos

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com