Pool filter sand help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neontetra0131

Aquarium Advice Activist
I rinse this pool filter sand out for an hour out it in my tank and now look at the water thankfully no fish were in there what cause the ware to do thisImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400448021.306251.jpg

I rinsed it for an hour. Also I've read online the sand suppose to be white mines like a little brown kinda tan look to it but the package says pool filtered sand.

I didn't clean my pool filter sand and it looked like that. The eheim canister filter had it clean by morning. If I were you I'd just do water changes until it's clear since you don't have any fish in there.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have two filters running. But what I don't get is when I siphon it stirs it up again will that always happen???

I rinsed mine in small sections for a 60lb bag. Each rinse was over 45 minutes of rinsing. Even if you rinsed for an hour it is still not rinsed. When you do rinse and the water is running out of the bucket clear after sifting through it then its ready. Just running it for an hour won't really clean it unless you're sifting in sections.

I put my hands in it and stired it but I've already put it in the tank so I can't take it out I just hope it clears soon!!!

I would drain the water. Even if it settles when you go to clean it yes it will stir up that dust again. I would honestly drain the water and scoop the sand into a bucket.

Thats going to take a while considering how much dust is floating in the tank.

I would scoop it out and start again. Just do small amounts and rinse really well. Need a good fine mesh strainer. Man I would take the time now instead of dealing with it for awhile.

Looked just like mine. Btw the sand will look whiter when it's in the tank.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400454176.219308.jpg two days later.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400454215.665223.jpg

It shouldnt be a problem, just don't run your filters until it settles down. I used a different brand, it came out pretty clear, hopefully it all settles down for you soon! Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited:
I think patience is the key here. I'm not washing mine and I added 150 lbs. It was too much work to clean it and I can't design and work with wet sand. So I'm just going to add water a couple of inches a pop and let it settle between ads

Well that's the plan anyway, in reality I'll probably end up doing a "should have rinsed my sand" whining post

Pick up a bottle of a "flocculant acting" clarifier from a lfs, than do a very weak sand vacuuming. Works by attracting the particles and making them clump so they sink faster. Ive used once on my pond when a tropical storm brought in debris and clouded my water up.

If your not going to pull it out and wash it in small batches again then yes, if I were you I would turn off the filters until the dust settles. However, (depending on your filter) you *could* keep them on to basically wash the sand for you. Expect to have to replace some media using this method and wait longer for the water to clear.

To be honest, as the other posters have said, its best to just pull it back out and using a small bucket, add a couple pounds of sand at a time and re-rinse it.

As always, this advice should be taken with a grain of salt. Unless your a freshwater fish keeper. Then that might be bad for your tank. :ROFLMAO:

My tank was just as cloudy when I first added my sand in. I completely drained the water out of the tank and added it back in and that helped a lot. The filter took care of the rest and it was clear within a day.

Gonna let it settle till in the morning and then if not clear up I'll drain it out and clean it more. Not a good day for me been messing with this for hours but can't complain really. Should of cleaned it more

Back
Top Bottom