popular SA cichlid question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Demonknight

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, time to play a game :)

If you were to breed ONE kind of sa cichlid for resale which one would you pick?
I have 3 in mind JD, Oscar and Convict, but open to other ideas (the one I really want I can't find LOL)

now that ones new to me.."green horse face"
I had thought about the rams, nice enough to deal with a community tank

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390297738.063186.jpg
They are money makers for sure 4-5cm juvi worth $35-40 and an adult around $80 $50 in most pet shops better off finding a local breeder

They are money makers for sure 4-5cm juvi worth $35-40 and an adult around $80 $50 in most pet shops better off finding a local breeder

Satanoperca leucosticta, not a common fish by any means, and are quite sensitive to water quality.

I would look into geophagus tapajo "red head", commonly just called red head tapajo. They are an eartheater species, like the one mentioned above. They are not too difficult to breed, have large spawn sizes, and are desirable. I would definitely recommend a 6' tank for them, and they also do grow quite slow, the main two drawbacks

Salvini, Green Terror, Mini Dovii. (forgot the other name so used a nickname)

Problems is most New world cichlids are easy breeders so not many are real money makers. I have Firemouth fry that I cant give a way JD's and convicts are the same way. Now that I think about it EBJDS fetch a good penny but they are extremely difficult to get from breed. you have to set up a larger (4-5 tanks) breeding operation.

Thats sorta my long(ish) goal, to setup a fish store/breeding op down a few years since my health seems to be going south and the job i have done since I was 14 is becoming almost impossible to do these days. May as well try going into something I love right?

LOL Cheryl native fish are high on my list, I've already talked to the state of NE about how to go about getting native stock for breeding so set that way...a few years and I'll be posting "for sale" ads. We have some dang nice looking native fish that are way underrated due to them being "cold" water fish. Blackside dace, plains topminnow, stoneroller (ok, its plain, but its a cool/cold water version of a algae eater), and my personal fav the red shiner to name a few.

LOL Cheryl native fish are high on my list, I've already talked to the state of NE about how to go about getting native stock for breeding so set that way...a few years and I'll be posting "for sale" ads. We have some dang nice looking native fish that are way underrated due to them being "cold" water fish. Blackside dace, plains topminnow, stoneroller (ok, its plain, but its a cool/cold water version of a algae eater), and my personal fav the red shiner to name a few.

That is a great idea. native fish are becoming more and more popular and there aren't allot of suppliers.

Back
Top Bottom