Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-11-2012, 09:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Cool possible 90 gallon tank

Hi! I am new to the fish world. I got me a 20 gallon tank for Christmas (freshwater) and I am in the process of doing a fish in cyle. I just ordered me a 90 gallon tank and was going to go with the same type of thing, but now I am thinking I want to go with an African Cichlid tank.

is this harder than what I am doing? the info things say "expert" as far as experience goes. what do I really need to know to do these fish?

I have on order 90 gallon tank, aquaclear 110, some artificial plants, sunken ship decoration and of course the heater (300w visi-therm)

any advice is welcome! I am going to try the fishless cyle on this tank (since I am still doing PWC daily on my 20 gallon tank)

Old 01-12-2012, 12:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

so I have decided to bite the bullet and jump over to cichlids (African). I read the first article (cichlid recipe) and have a few stocking questions. at the end of the article is a possible list of what you would put in a 74 gallon tank. it is something like 31 fish! can i really put this many fish in one tank?? am I reading this wrong and this is a list of possible compatable fish to go in a 75 gallon tank? I thought the rule was still pretty much the same - 1" fish per gallon of water. wouldn't this be overstocked?

alos, in the article it says to stock with a trio. how do you pick a trio?

Old 01-12-2012, 01:14 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I assume you are talking about mbuna Cichlids? You can overstock a tank to help mitigate their aggression. It really depends on what fish you decide to go with. Mbuna are beat kept in groups of 1 male per 3-4 females. There is alot to learn about mbuna but we at aa can help with that. The biggest thing, Just take the good advice people give. We are telling you bc we gave already faced most of the problems. Ask away and I will do my best to help!

Also you need more filtration if you are going to overstock imo.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:24 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel618 View Post
I assume you are talking about mbuna Cichlids? You can overstock a tank to help mitigate their aggression. It really depends on what fish you decide to go with. Mbuna are beat kept in groups of 1 male per 3-4 females. There is alot to learn about mbuna but we at aa can help with that. The biggest thing, Just take the good advice people give. We are telling you bc we gave already faced most of the problems. Ask away and I will do my best to help!

Also you need more filtration if you are going to overstock imo.
thanks Joel! I was thinking I would grab me another aquaclear 110 or should i go smaller?

not sure if I am talking about Mbuna or not. I am getting confused now I want to go with African and I think I want to stay witha "lake" am I right in this? I was thinking of malawi. what is Mbuna??
Old 01-12-2012, 01:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherW
thanks Joel! I was thinking I would grab me another aquaclear 110 or should i go smaller?

not sure if I am talking about Mbuna or not. I am getting confused now I want to go with African and I think I want to stay witha "lake" am I right in this? I was thinking of malawi. what is Mbuna??
You can never overfilter imo. I use 2 emperor 400's on my 75gal and am upgrading one of them to a canister filter rated at 525 gph
3 different rift lakes, Malawi is one of them. Malawi has 3 types of Cichlids: mbuna, peacocks, and haps. You need a bigger to mix them imo. So say you choose mbuna (rock dwelling Cichlids). Then you would choose a group from each genus. Like a group of psuedotropheus, labidochromis, labeotropheus, metriclima, and so on. It isn't recommended to mix red zebras and ice blue zebras (for example bc they are both metriclima) because the males will fight over females and there is also a problem with then cross breeding.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:13 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel618

You can never overfilter imo. I use 2 emperor 400's on my 75gal and am upgrading one of them to a canister filter rated at 525 gph
3 different rift lakes, Malawi is one of them. Malawi has 3 types of Cichlids: mbuna, peacocks, and haps. You need a bigger to mix them imo. So say you choose mbuna (rock dwelling Cichlids). Then you would choose a group from each genus. Like a group of psuedotropheus, labidochromis, labeotropheus, metriclima, and so on. It isn't recommended to mix red zebras and ice blue zebras (for example bc they are both metriclima) because the males will fight over females and there is also a problem with then cross breeding.
So where do find out if the fish I am looking at are Mina? Do the other 2 always have the word haps or peacock in their names?
Old 01-12-2012, 07:16 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Whoops on my phone... Meant mbuna
Old 01-12-2012, 07:18 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Not exactly. Go to davesfish.com they are classified by lakes and types and have scientific names. Click on the names for pics. Also google "demasoni cichlid profile" for example. Cichlid-forum.com has good info on them too.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:27 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel618
Not exactly. Go to davesfish.com they are classified by lakes and types and have scientific names. Click on the names for pics. Also google "demasoni cichlid profile" for example. Cichlid-forum.com has good info on them too.
Thanks! That helps. Do are the mbuna the easiest to care for?
Old 01-12-2012, 07:32 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Idk about the easiest, but prolly the most readily available. Mbuna are just a little different from any other fish I have kept.

Tags
90 gallon, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com