possible change to chilids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mom2reds

Aquarium Advice Addict
so I currently have a 75 gallon planted tank, that I have had setup for 5 years but my driftwood and eco complete I had in a 100 gal tank previously that I got rid of due to space. I use RO water and lots of driftwood my question is what kind of chilids would work with my water? Will they all destroy my plants and do I have to have rocks? I am open to any suggestions except Rams, I cant seem to keep them alive.

I have a keyhole with plants and driftwood, from what I've read you can have multiple ones in a tank, as they're more social with their own. Even breeding they can be kept with smaller fish like guppies.

There are many other South American cichlids like the Apistogramma sp.
The lots of rocks and plant destroyers you speak of sound like African Lake cichlids.
There are cichlids from African rivers like the kribensis that are lovely in planted tanks.
Angels are cichlids,they don't need rock or destroy all plants..
I am sure others will have great ideas also..
On a side note do you get your rams from a big box pet store ?
Have you ever thought of getting rams from a good breeder ???:cool:

thank Toad
Coralbandit, I have not been able to get any rams that are raised around here, I do get them from our local fish shop not a big box store.
I was just at a new fish shop here and they had a really pretty mated pair of red jewel chilids. What group would they fit in.

Red Jewel cichlids are African river cichlids. Mated pairs can be agressive. They are fairly durable fish, and good parents.

Mated pairs can be agressive.
This would be an understatement. A spawning pair of jewels are hyper aggressive. They are not usually content to chase offenders out of their territory, they want to rip them apart. I have seen jewels kill aggressive fish 4x their size.

How about keyhole cichlids? Although not my personal favorite, angelfish might be good.

If you are willing to spend the money and put in the effort, discus are great in soft water planted tanks.

Discus are obviously a great choice but you want something different then I’d recommend archocentrus centrarchus or any of the Chanchito but my favorite that I’ve bred was Australoheros oblongum. There are many more centrals that would work too as you don’t normally find the planted biotope but rather rocky, rooty, and algae covered areas.

Thank y’all I will start researching some of those and see what I can find here in Lubbock Texas

Back
Top Bottom