Possible HITH Treatment.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jarrod0987

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Some of you have been involved in the salt water side of the hobby and may be aware of Head and Lateral Line Erosion Disease. It is said to have no known cause and cure. Also it is said that Hole in The Head Disease that Cichlids have is the same disease.

There was a study done a long time ago that showed that activated carbon was causing the disease. Certain species such as Purple Tangs are prone to this disease. The research showed when they added carbon the fish got the disease, when they took it away the disease went away. Many hobbyists concluded that it was the dust from un rinsed carbon that caused the sickness and stopped using activated carbon. However, there are people who use good quality carbon and do not have this issue with there tangs. They believe it is a nutrition issue. I believe this probably is an important factor.

There is a product On the saltwater side known as Miracle mud. It is controversial but many big name people in the Hobby such as Mike Paletta like it. It has been around for a long time now and has been shown to reverse head and lateral line erosion. This product is mineralized ocean mud. It is very dusty but great care is taken to make sure this dust does not enter the main tank. It's main function is to provide trace elements. There is a freshwater version as well. The creator of this Product, Mr. Leng Sy has told me that the fresh water version does in fact cure cichlids of hole in the head disease and that it is the same as Head and lateral Line Errosion. When I ask him the cause he only tells me "There are many Causes"

I think it is really a trace element deficiency. Activated carbon has been shown to remove elements such as gold, silver, and Vanadium. Those are some of the trace elements in question. They are are taken up by the fish directly at the gills and into the blood stream in very low concentrations. The types of elements have also been shown by the research at Red Sea to effect coloration in corals. I noticed both Cichlids and Tangs are brightly colored fish. Perhaps the same Chromo Protiens?

This is all just my theory of course but all the pieces fit. Even in a neglected tank with no water changes, the cichlids would be more prone to this. I have read one person claiming in every case they found Hole in the head, they found super high nitrates. This caused them to believe high Nitrates were the cause. I think that just means there were now water changes, and so trace elements were depleted.

What do all of you think about this theory?

HITH is a parasitic disease found in angelfish and discus. It is caused by Hexamita spp. and/or Sprionucleus vortens and is treated with metronidazole.

HLLE is a nonparasitic condition usually caused by less than ideal food and water quality. This is common in oscars (and many other neotropical cichlids). It does NOT respond to any meds, but is treated by improving food and water quality. In some very rare cases it has been demonstrated that the cause in those cases was carbon use in the filter.

They are two different diseases, this is evident by the treatment is completely different.

HITH is a parasitic disease found in angelfish and discus. It is caused by Hexamita spp. and/or Sprionucleus vortens and is treated with metronidazole.

HLLE is a nonparasitic condition usually caused by less than ideal food and water quality. This is common in oscars (and many other neotropical cichlids). It does NOT respond to any meds, but is treated by improving food and water quality. In some very rare cases it has been demonstrated that the cause in those cases was carbon use in the filter.

They are two different diseases, this is evident by the treatment is completely different.

Awesome, Good to know it finally got solved. I haven't looked into it for quite a while. It explains why A certain companies parasite meds claim to be able to fix the issue.

Awesome, Good to know it finally got solved. I haven't looked into it for quite a while. It explains why A certain companies parasite meds claim to be able to fix the issue.

You'll still see people who claim they are the same disease. There really isn't any funding or research into fish disease for the most part so it usually boils down to the same information being regurgitated through aquarium forums and such. I have spent many years and have personally donated many Astronotus ocellatus with HLLE to Shedd Aquarium and not one had a parasitic infection.

You'll still see people who claim they are the same disease. There really isn't any funding or research into fish disease for the most part so it usually boils down to the same information being regurgitated through aquarium forums and such. I have spent many years and have personally donated many Astronotus ocellatus with HLLE to Shedd Aquarium and not one had a parasitic infection.

Well i didn't know they were different...

I learned somethin' yay!

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom