Post-Ammonia Spike Update

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bamadude91

Aquarium Advice Activist
My aquarium is a week removed from an ammonia spike that killed more than half of my mbuna. One of the survivors, my female Kenyi, is beginning to show color and she's become more active (as the others are). The Kenyi is the only fish that will be swimming one minute, and the next she's upside down floating. When this happens there is almost no fin movement and she floats with the water current. She can barely remove herself from the intake of the filter. Then, the next time you look in the tank, she's swimming up right again.
I've done many water changes to dilute the ammonia. Again, I don't have a test kit to check specifics. I know that ammonia poisoning is highly damaging to their brains and neural system. I'm almost positive she still isn't eating.
Anything I can do to help her? None of my other fish are doing this. Just her.

First off you really need to get a test kit. Without it you really have no idea what the levels are. Until you get a test kit i would do a 50% water change daily just to make sure they arent suffering from ammonia poisoning.

I know I've got to get one. Test kit you recommend?
She hasn't gone belly up in 24 hours (that I've seen) and her colors are the best they've been (the irredescent blue on the head has returned, if that's the correct way to describe it).
She just needs to eat...to my knowledge she still hasn't eaten.

The API Freshwater Liquid test kit is a good choice if you are looking for a test kit.

Back
Top Bottom