Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-18-2018, 12:20 AM   #1701
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by V227 View Post
Your cichlids will do a lot better with several stacked rock formations. Lots of fun creating a
hardscape.
Ok cool. Should I get real rocks or these air rocks I been hearing about?

Old 04-18-2018, 05:24 AM   #1702
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Air rocks? What am I missing out on I should get?

Old 04-18-2018, 07:28 AM   #1703
Aquarium Advice Addict

Since it appears you've elected to try African Cichlids, real limestone rocks work really well.
My tanks are all decorated with Texas Holey Rock / Limestone. Lava rock is good too except for the sharp edges. Both type rock have natural holes in it that cichlids like. Rounded river rocks also look good, but no holes. They need to be stacked in order to make hiding spots.
The cheapest place with the best selection to buy rocks is a local rock yard or landscape company. Your LFS will likely be much more expensive.
Your 125 G. Is going to take a lot of rock. My 120 G. has over 100 lbs of limestone rock (THR) Cost me about 25 cents a lb. From the rock yard. My LFS sells (THR) for over $4.00 a lb.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:45 PM   #1704
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by V227 View Post
Since it appears you've elected to try African Cichlids, real limestone rocks work really well.
My tanks are all decorated with Texas Holey Rock / Limestone. Lava rock is good too except for the sharp edges. Both type rock have natural holes in it that cichlids like. Rounded river rocks also look good, but no holes. They need to be stacked in order to make hiding spots.
The cheapest place with the best selection to buy rocks is a local rock yard or landscape company. Your LFS will likely be much more expensive.
Your 125 G. Is going to take a lot of rock. My 120 G. has over 100 lbs of limestone rock (THR) Cost me about 25 cents a lb. From the rock yard. My LFS sells (THR) for over $4.00 a lb.
Thanks for the advice. I'm gonna see what I can find today. You've been a great help

Tags
cichlid, ich, setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com