post your cichlid setup here!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My lil ELBJD cant wait for him to get big i also have a smaller one got two for 50$ buckz ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397625403.887344.jpg

My 130 gallon. I just moved so all i have in it is 2 baby convicts and 2 baby Dempseys
jymasa8y.jpg

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1397844213132.jpg
    1397844213132.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 157
130g

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1397844337570.jpg
    1397844337570.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 170
I absolutely love your sulfer head squirrilah. I really want to add one to the 90 when its all set up. Unfortunately that doesnt look like its gonna happen until june or july:'(

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I absolutely love your sulfer head squirrilah. I really want to add one to the 90 when its all set up. Unfortunately that doesnt look like its gonna happen until june or july:'(

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you, I got really lucky, he is an F1. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397849257.032605.jpg

He's also kind of a bully, he gives my Benga hell.

Every time I do a water change it seems like at least a few of my cichlids die. I use tap water stress coat and stress zyme. Any other suggestions?

I was having a similar problem although not as drastic. I switched to Prime and haven't lost a fish in months.

I hope I didn't just jinx myself.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Every time I do a water change it seems like at least a few of my cichlids die. I use tap water stress coat and stress zyme. Any other suggestions?

Are these products dechlorinators? Are you matching the temp of the new water going in to the tank temp within a few degrees? (you can do this by hand it doesn't need to be exact)

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Yes they are I currently switched over to prime which is a fix all for tanks when doing water changes and yes water is within a degree or two my water is really cloudy but I am running sand and gravel at the bottom

Must owns for every aquarists. Seachems Prime. (Water treatment) Seachems stability ( biological enhance, better than stress zyme) Seachems Paraguard (safe disease control that works like a charm, and cures almost everything.)

Must owns for every aquarists. Seachems Prime. (Water treatment) Seachems stability ( biological enhance, better than stress zyme) Seachems Paraguard (safe disease control that works like a charm, and cures almost everything.)

I don't use any of these products or anything similar. I'm on well water, which my fish love and I have no need to bind ammonia or nitrites, due to a large amount of biomedia I always use, so prime is a waste for me. Stability and such products are hocus fish pocus, and don't really work and are in fact a different bacteria that gives people a false sense of security and is sold as a "filler" product for the store to make some extra $. And in 30 years I've never had a fish get sick under my care. I have brought some home that had ick. But ick doesn't really scare me as long as the fish is still active, with a good environment and lots of clean water, no need to medicate they've always shook it off in a couple days. I have brought home fish that have died from stress or some disease that wasn't apparent upon visual inspection. I've said it before and I'll say it again.. lots of large water changes keeps fish healthy and gets them into good health. Prime is a great product though and if you require it, I agree it's the must have product.

Edit: by the way this has been my good luck with the hobby over the years, if you require products, some actually are good and do work such as different meds. The best piece of advice is lots of biomedia for each tank and lots of water changes. Cheers.

I don't use any of these products or anything similar. I'm on well water, which my fish love and I have no need to bind ammonia or nitrites, due to a large amount of biomedia I always use, so prime is a waste for me. Stability and such products are hocus fish pocus, and don't really work and are in fact a different bacteria that gives people a false sense of security and is sold as a "filler" product for the store to make some extra $. And in 30 years I've never had a fish get sick under my care. I have brought some home that had ick. But ick doesn't really scare me as long as the fish is still active, with a good environment and lots of clean water, no need to medicate they've always shook it off in a couple days. I have brought home fish that have died from stress or some disease that wasn't apparent upon visual inspection. I've said it before and I'll say it again.. lots of large water changes keeps fish healthy and gets them into good health. Prime is a great product though and if you require it, I agree it's the must have product.

Edit: by the way this has been my good luck with the hobby over the years, if you require products, some actually are good and do work such as different meds. The best piece of advice is lots of biomedia for each tank and lots of water changes. Cheers.

A lot of people use tap water, with chloramine, chlorine, and heavy metals. Prime is a must, and as a water treatment works the best. I can say from first hand experience that stability works, and works well, I have cycled a full tank more than once using stability in only a week. Paraguard treats, but also prevents. IDK where you got your fish, but if your adding fish from cheap pet stores, have a new tank, or adding a lot of fish, diseases can and will happen.
Sounds like you have been really lucky, but I will vouch for any of these products all day, everyday.
I have gone a long time without any disease, other than my 13 yo JD, who's starting to go. But I keep some Paraguard on hand just in case.
With Paraguard, it doesn't alter PH, doesn't upset the bio, you don't need to take out carbon, you can, but don't have to, and it treats viral, bacterial, parasites, and fungus.
Sure you may not "need" these, but I always say it's a hell of a lot easier to not use something you have, than to use something you don't .

Back
Top Bottom