Potential Compatability Issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LeafsFan

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey Guys,

Been awhile since I have been on the forums, but got a bit of an issue.

I have a 60G (4ftx2ftx1ft) running for about 6months, with no issues.

Current stock is Guppies (Which hang out mostly at the top)
2 Syno's (Which are being grown out for my 180 so not permanent)
2 Bolivian Rams
3 Clown Loaches

I recently added 2 "3 Spotted Eartheaters" or Satanoperea Daemon. They lasted about a week and I looked in today to find them gutted. Seems like they were attacked. My best guess is the Rams.

I was told by my the LFS that they would be fine with the Rams, this true? Would anything else attack these guys. If it is the Rams, I am going to return them and get the Eartheaters as they are much more appealing to me.

Just curious as to ppl's thoughts. Haven't had any fish die on me in ages, so kinda bummed out.

Thanks

I've been keeping bolivian and german rams for about five years and never had them harm another fish, despite all the squabbles.

What type of synos are you talking about? Some types of synos can be aggressive - some are very mellow, some are in-between, or just occasionally get overly rambunctious.

Is it possible the eartheaters "just died" as new fish often do - disease, stress, combo - and then were eaten on by the other fish?

Last edited:
My Featherfin Syno, the Eupterus, actually holds the third most dominant rank in my 75. This is a tank that holds mean Texas and Synspilum Cichlids. They arent full grown, only about 4-5 inches, but the Syno gives them a major run for their money. He doesn't back down and circles them like a shark, even though he does no damage I'm sure he could. Especially since the Eartheaters are always near the bottom.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Last edited by a moderator:
They very well could have just died. I just found it a quick death as they were fine the night before. I will get back about the syno type. At work currently. My other thought is i did a water change the night before and didn't put enough dechlorinator in the water. The chlorine levels are high currently in the water due to my area being a new housing development.

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah, likely they did die of causes other than your Syno. But i was just throwing it out there!! Mine handles the aggressive dominant male Texas in my tank just fine.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom