Power outage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erikmoseley

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all I expect to lose power in this blizzard to iChat and have neglected to think about my fish! What do I do if I lose it? I have no battery powered anything. Do I just cross my fingers? How long could they live without filtration? I have a power pack thing I. An prob run heater and air/sponge filter on for 6 hrs at a time and charge in my car for half hr before another 6 hrs. I haven't lost power in a decade so have no preparation although we moved and it apparently goes out every storm here. Thanks for any tips

Filtering the water wouldn't be as important as keeping it warm and with enough O² so if you can keep em warm and breathing you should hopefully be OK till the power comes back on

Filtering the water wouldn't be as important as keeping it warm and with enough O² so if you can keep em warm and breathing you should hopefully be OK till the power comes back on

Thanks. I think my power pack will run the air pump and heater so I am hoping ill be ok

Check your thermometer, when getting 2 degrees lower than normal tank temp, poor warm dechlorinated water into the tank until back to normal temp. Keep on that until you get your power back. You could also try wrapping thick blankets around the tank.

And powers out. And my power pack will not work. Bad planning. Hope that all the fish make it.

I would definitely wrap some blankets around the tank and put as much hot water in coolers as I could, just in case this last awhile

I would definitely wrap some blankets around the tank and put as much hot water in coolers as I could, just in case this last awhile

Thanks. Blankets not an option I don't have many large ones and I need them! Filled some bottles with hot water and floating them in there. Who knows how long we will have hot water. I just stocked it last week so worst case scenario I still have a week to return them for refund if they die and have to restock. It's still 70 in house and 79 in the water

I haven't had a power outrage yet but I've read up on things to do. Warm water in bottles is very helpful (thanks gas powered stove). Also use something (gravel vac maybe) to stir water so often. Also I've heard you should take bio part of your filter and float it in tank. So atleast the BB still gets ammonia so it doesn't die off causing a cycle. Good look with your power. Hope they get it back to you soon.

Good luck I got lucky again. Didn't lose power in sandy or nemo. My luck has to run out eventually. Think in gonna buy a battery operated pump or two just in case. Or maybe one if those computer battery backups. Set it to run one of my filters and the heater. Wonder how long that would last.

No power since Friday. It was 42 in my apt today and my water was 58. The cichlids are all at the bottom and not doing well. We had to leave and keep ourselves warm and I'm hoping a Mira le happens and the power comes back while we are staying w relatives

Is there any way you can buy a cheap kerosene heater to put next to tank? Id hate to see you lose your stock they can survive around 60 but if it gets colder then that they will most Likley die :(

Is there any way you can buy a cheap kerosene heater to put next to tank? Id hate to see you lose your stock they can survive around 60 but if it gets colder then that they will most Likley die :(

Home Depot was all out if thosein the whole state! Stopped home this morn. Still no power and most are t moving. Broke my heart. I couldn't look and had to leave.

So unfortunately I have to clear out all the fish as they all didn't make it. Is there anything to do besides a great big water change an the normal water conditioners etc and let it run a few days and check all parameters? Then it's ok for fish again?

Do the water change and watch your parameters for a few days. If your filters weren't running and the media was left in them your bacteria may have died off. You may need to cycle again.

Do the water change and watch your parameters for a few days. If your filters weren't running and the media was left in them your bacteria may have died off. You may need to cycle again.

They weren't running. I floated the bio wheels. And left the active sponge filter in there

So sorry to hear about your fish. If you floated the bio filter hopefully they survived although the temperature could have gotten to them as well. I'd doa decent sized water change, and then stock small 2 or 3 fish, check water daily if the ammonia or nitrite spike you know the BB died off, then follow directions for fish in cycle. If you don't see a spike after a couple days you can finish stocking normally. Best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom