Powerhead placement in cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jgsketch

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm looking to start a Lake Malawi Cichlid tank after deciding to drop my Discus idea for a tank. I might even make a sump for it. I was wondering what type of current I need for this type of tank, or where to place my power head for the sump return. I saw some tanks that have the powerheads at the bottom of the tank? What is the purpose of having it at the bottom versus the top? Thanks.

If you have a sump for the tank your probably going to want a more powerful and reliable return pump than just a powerhead. I use a mag 12 for my 90 gallon tank. It has about 5 feet of head loss, combined with valves, etc. it pumps about 850 to 900 gph...I think lol

African Cichlids like current in their tank, not an overbearing amount to the point that they are being pushed around the tank, but they like to have some current. I can't help with the sump, but do you know what kind of Cichlids you want to keep?

A danner Mag pump, how big really depends on the size of the tank, would be a better choice for a sump (with the head loss powerheads most likely wont work at all)

Thanks guys. I do not know yet what type of Cichlids I'm going to use. After more research I'm going to put in UGJ to help keep the sand clean and provide current.

Back
Top Bottom