Pregnant electric blue and need help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charbel.eid9

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought this electric blue from 2 weeks and she turned out to be pregnant. No male in the tank. Can the eggs make it without a male? Am using a breeding trap, so is this correct for this type of fish?

I'm new to breeding so any info will help...
Thank you!

Attachments

• image-170885030.jpg
    image-170885030.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 117
mfdrookie516 said:
Africans don't get pregnant. What makes you think she's pregnant? Is her stomach swolen?

She has a bigger belly and that showed up from 4 days...

Africans carry their eggs in her mouth, and looking at that picture it doesn't look like she's holding. But her stomach is extremely bloated though, looks to be grossly overfed IMO.

What are you feeding them? Africans require a diet with lower protein, try to shoo for 38% or lower. Don't feed bloodworms or anything like that.

HUKIT said:
Africans carry their eggs in her mouth, and looking at that picture it doesn't look like she's holding. But her stomach is extremely bloated though, looks to be grossly overfed IMO.

I forgot to mention that she is not eating almost nothing.

I'm feeding them tetramin fish flakes once per day. What's best as food and how many times per day?

I forgot to mention that she is not eating almost nothing.

I feed New Life Spectrum to all my fish, I feed once per day for around 60 seconds making sure everything is being eaten. I also skip every Sunday to aid in digestion.

The fish thats not eating, is she showing any other weird behavior?

HUKIT said:
I feed New Life Spectrum to all my fish, I feed once per day for around 60 seconds making sure everything is being eaten. I also skip every Sunday to aid in digestion.

The fish thats not eating, is she showing any other weird behavior?

She is new in the tank, not active and lonely all the time.
Thanks for the feeding tip!

Just keep an eye on her, since Africans are prone to Bloat. Some symptoms are not eating, reclusive behavior, swollen stomach, and stringy white pooh.

Updates: the electric blue died :( u were right about the bloat. But now the electric yellow is holding something inside her mouth. As I can see a bubble shape translucent thing with a dark spot at the middle. What can it be?

Btw the fish in the second pic is kinda protecting the electric yellow.

Attachments

• image-282055208.jpg
    image-282055208.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 106
  • image-3089212858.jpg
    image-3089212858.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 104
It looks like she's holding but a closer picture would tell for sure.

You also need to watch the rest of the fish since the parasite that causes Bloat is contagious. If the othe fish show symptoms you'll need to treat the entire tank.

HUKIT said:
It looks like she's holding but a closer picture would tell for sure.

You also need to watch the rest of the fish since the parasite that causes Bloat is contagious. If the othe fish show symptoms you'll need to treat the entire tank.

Tomorrow will be the tank day. Will get the treatment to end the parasite problem.

I attached two closer pictures hope those help you more and thanks a lot for your support and fast replies.

Sorry here are the attachments.

Attachments

• image-2747342028.jpg
    image-2747342028.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 82
  • image-4237682224.jpg
    image-4237682224.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 74
I wouldn't trest just yet, just monitor the fishes behavior. If you some of the signs I posted earlier then treat.

That lab is certainly holding, you'll see fry in 21-28 days. She will spit them out when they're ready.

Sorry here are the attachments.

She's definitely carrying. The other cichlid that is protecting her is most likely the father.
She will hold the eggs and then the fry for 21 days, during this time she can't eat. So it's a very good idea to separate her from all the other fish. After the fry are free swimming they will remain close to her mouth so they can take refuge if there is any sign of danger.
She looks to be 2 weeks along, so if your going to get her out of the tank it should be very soon. You can leave her in the the tank but the others will go after the fry and she will try to defend them. And in her weakened condition she won't last long, nor will the fry.

:fish1::fish2:

WendiDell said:
She's definitely carrying. The other cichlid that is protecting her is most likely the father.
She will hold the eggs and then the fry for 21 days, during this time she can't eat. So it's a very good idea to separate her from all the other fish. After the fry are free swimming they will remain close to her mouth so they can take refuge if there is any sign of danger.
She looks to be 2 weeks along, so if your going to get her out of the tank it should be very soon. You can leave her in the the tank but the others will go after the fry and she will try to defend them. And in her weakened condition she won't last long, nor will the fry.

:fish1::fish2:

I moved her to a breeding trap inside the tank. She is definitely not eating.
I noticed another fish coming the trap and trying to take the eggs/fry from her mouth as if the holding female wants to do so but they can't access each others. Any idea about this behavior?

I moved her to a breeding trap inside the tank. She is definitely not eating.
I noticed another fish coming the trap and trying to take the eggs/fry from her mouth as if the holding female wants to do so but they can't access each others. Any idea about this behavior?

No. I'm afraid I don't. This is the first time one of my mouth brooders have ever been holding.
Because of that I've done a ton of reading, but nothing I read mentioned anything about an exchange of fry. Unless the other fish wants to eat them.

Back
Top Bottom