Pregnant Kribensis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squareheads

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have recently gotten kribs from my LFS and I am almost certain one of the females is pregnant. She's been hiding in my ship decor and everytime i see her, she has a really big pink belly. My only option right now, to keep the babies safe from the gouramis that i've had before hand. I bought a breeder net and I currently placed one of the kribs there because it's fin's been nipped and it looks really damaged.

If the female Krib is pregnant, is it okay to have her young swim freely with an Opaline and Pearl gourami? Or should I be safe than sorry?

Kribs don't get pregnant. If, by chance, she's full of eggs, separating her from the male will only mean unfertilized eggs... but my vote would be that's she is bloated instead.

Your Krib will lay eggs in her cave...then both will protect from other fish...could result in some chasing of your gouramis

I've never had any luck keeping krib fry alive in community tanks. All it takes is for the parents to fall asleep and a bottom feeder to come along and they are all snacks. I've finally had some luck growing mine out in their own breeding tank. With no other predators they also seem a lot less stressed.

I've never had any luck keeping krib fry alive in community tanks. All it takes is for the parents to fall asleep and a bottom feeder to come along and they are all snacks. I've finally had some luck growing mine out in their own breeding tank. With no other predators they also seem a lot less stressed.
I have always kept my Kribs in their own tank with no tank mates...this time I will have some Kuhli Loaches but I have plenty of plants and hiding spots for them.

You should have no problems with the kuhlii loaches. I had some successful spawns with kuhlii's in the tank. It was my clown loach that devoured the fry though.

They are egg layers, so the female lays eggs when she's ready to breed. And her (i think the female is the colorful one) colors attract the male to breed, and he fertilizes the eggs once they are laid. Idk about kribs but some fish do a "dance" before they lay eggs.

Mine typically dig pits in the sand under a piece of slate or rock. They will lay the eggs on the roof of the "cave" they dug. The female typically fans/guards the eggs while the male chases off anyone who comes close. After they are free swimmers they will both watch over the fry and scoop up any strays with their mouth and spit them back out in the cloud of fry.

Hi iv got a couple of breeding pairs of kribs in my community tank. But every time they have babies they last for a week or two and than they disappear. Like previous people say they guard there fry very well but I think in the end the parents must get a bit stressed out and eat them. Check out my pictures to see them guarding there fry. Good luck with yours thou they might be better parents than mine lol

Are Kribs at all like rams when it comes to fry-rearing? In that, they mess up the first few times but eventually get it right?

Yep^^^^^ that's right it took me a year before I got wigglers then they ate them. Better luck next time right. I was unprepared though and had cories in the tank. They ate most of the wigglers

Back
Top Bottom