Preparing for the storm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I visited a friend in Houston in November a few years ago and it was miserable hot for me. Not to mention the rain that made everything flood. Hah fun times

Houston is disgustingly humid. And the water table is very low, so that type of flooding is normal.

If I ever moved back to Texas, it would be Austin or San Antonio.

Yeah growing up in maine then living in Boston then here in NY that was the first time down south and as soon as I stepped off the plane the humidity hit like a ton of bricks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm really praying for you over there. Looks like a big one.

Be safe!!! (says the Transplanted NYer in Florida) And don't those generator fumes make you healthier? ?

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?

Its going to break my heart to lose my whole discus tank over the next few days. Generator will not start, family will be relocated to a hotel once the power is out(if they can get to one through the snow) this will deff be a learning experience :( crossing my fingers for a little luck on my side

Its going to break my heart to lose my whole discus tank over the next few days. Generator will not start, family will be relocated to a hotel once the power is out(if they can get to one through the snow) this will deff be a learning experience :( crossing my fingers for a little luck on my side

Hope it all works out for you, Jess. My girl is at home with the Discus, RCS, and SW tanks. A hamster and 1 dog in heat and the other not knowing what to do but drool all over ??. Truck is packed to spend at least 4 days on the road. Clothes, tools, food, drinks, spare parts for the truck and plow, extra fuel cans, power inverter, coffee pot, etc.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

I have the discus and a rcs tank as well and my little hamster:( im gonna probably rough it out at my boyfriends house. Where the issues a 125 discus tank that we refuse to let die off. And a 55 with our big green terror that were attached to. If my tank dies off ill wait until we get a new generator and invest in adult discus?

You Too jess, want to trouble shoot the generator? What exactly is or isn't happening with it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I grew up in Michigan and lived there most of my life, over 22 years. Moved here to Maryland and we've had 3 snow falls up to this point. It got to 52 degrees yesterday! Stay safe all of you New Yorkers, that's an insane sized snowfall! That's something that belongs in the upper peninsula of Michigan!

My stepdad left fuel in it from last year which wasnt a good start, but then a part snapped off which is why i believe it wont start. He got mandated to the state so now hes going to be plowing for the next few days so theres no way me and my mom can fix it. I covered my fish tank, got hand warmers to put under my hamster cage and now we wait. :/

I'm doing the same thing today. I'm a nervous wreck. For once, I am happy both of my tanks are understocked. It may look bare, but they have a chance in case of the dreaded power outage!

Good luck to you.

Yeah... Not looking forward to it. Yay NY!!! :/

Bichir- I am jealous now but totally not jealous during the wicked heat waves and the tornado warnings. I visited a friend in Houston in November a few years ago and it was miserable hot for me. Not to mention the rain that made everything flood. Hah fun times

I see your in Albany, me to. We are only supposed to get 4"-8" which sucks but not nearly as bad as the down staters.

I still need to check to see if my kerosene heater works I haven't started it up yet. Thank God I haven't needed to.

Found a battery powered charger that our lfs recomended to us. Said it ran his heater, filter, and air pump for 3 days last power outtage. So the 125 is safe. My 55 on the other hand... ?

I see your in Albany, me to. We are only supposed to get 4"-8" which sucks but not nearly as bad as the down staters.

I still need to check to see if my kerosene heater works I haven't started it up yet. Thank God I haven't needed to.

Sweet. I've seen a lot larger numbers. Honestly who knows. I guess we will just wait and see. But I think it is mostly below us that will be getting slammed

Also o sent you a private message about a local club not sure if you know about it yet

Sweet. I've seen a lot larger numbers. Honestly who knows. I guess we will just wait and see. But I think it is mostly below us that will be getting slammed

Also o sent you a private message about a local club not sure if you know about it yet

I hope your right and I hope your wrong lol. If your right then I work from home yay but then I have to snow blow booo.

Replied to your PM I have been looking for a club.

Jess you can also get a power inverter from auto zone or napa and plug it into your cars cigarette lighter.

here's one from walmart. This should be plenty power for a heater and air pump with some airstones

Cobra CPI480 400W DC-to-AC Power Inverter - Walmart.com

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bravo-Vie...-Peak-Power-Inverter-with-Game-Plate/13398247

this one here is 5000 watts..can power electrical appliances and heaters etc..

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cobra-CPI-2575-5-000W-12V-DC-To-120V-AC-Power-Inverter/10746778

if you have lots of tanks I would use a space heater and heat the room rather than each tank individually. Plus you can keep yourself warm in that room:p

We have the 55 and 125. We prioritized with the 125:( the room is downstairs and no amount of extension chord would reach from our car to the tank. Im sure ill be more prepared next storm. I was busy getting prepared for my first day at the university (today) which never happened.

Back
Top Bottom