Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-08-2012, 01:34 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Problems with water clarity

I have been having a terrible time getting my water crystal clear. Not only do I have microbubbles but I also have particles I believe to be diatoms. I thought they were only an issue with new aquariums??

I have an established 55 gal Malawi tank with 1 Emperor 400 (400gph), 1 AquaClear 70 (300 gph), a reverse flow Under Gravel Filter w/ 2 AquaClear 50 Powerheads (270 gph), and 1 ATI Foam Filter w/ 1 AquaClear 30 Powerhead (175 gph). My lighting consists of 1 T8 48" 50/50 actinic bulb, 1 T5 48" Colormax bulb, and 1 T5 48" 6700K bulb.

I have only 2 Anubias and 1 bunch of Amazon Sword plant.

Water parameters are good: 0 ammonia, 0 Nitrites, Nitrates ~ 10 ppm. pH = 8.2. I do 70% PWC every week.

Substrate is Aragonite/ gravel mix. Decor is TX Holey Rock.

Anybody have this problem before? Suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0470A.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	105239  

Old 07-08-2012, 02:25 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to tukker
Isn't it dust the fish create while scavenging the bottom? I had this stuff from sera, nitrivec and aquatan which kept water clear, but too much direct sunlight isn't good aswell

Old 07-08-2012, 09:25 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

BTW I have some polishing pads/ filter floss in both HOB filters (in front of the outflow) that get brown every couple of days. I rinse them out and the rinse water becomes brown with these particles

I have been trying to get some algae to grow (unsuccessfully) for my Mbuna so I also have been leaving the lights on for more than 12 hours a day (without an algae problem). I guess this is a blessing but I would really like some algae to carpet some rocks. I have for the past week even been adding sone Flourish every other day.

I see some of the other tanks here on this forum and love the water clarity of many. I like my tank; my fish are in excellent condition and spawn frequently but if I could just figure this last bit out...
Old 07-08-2012, 09:28 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by tukker
Isn't it dust the fish create while scavenging the bottom? I had this stuff from sera, nitrivec and aquatan which kept water clear, but too much direct sunlight isn't good aswell
They don't do much digging and there is no direct sunlight. Is that stuff you mention an algaecide?
Old 07-08-2012, 10:07 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to tukker
It's to stabilize water, I got anti algae stuff aswell, I don't know what it is, but it's dangerous for snail and shrimp. I think you should set up A tank in full sunlight with less filtering to make algae for your fish
Old 07-08-2012, 10:21 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The thing about the algae, is you probably ARE getting algae growth. Your cichlids stay on top of any algae growth. Pick up a rock or something off the bottom, or look in nooks and crannies where they might not be able to reach. I almost guarantee with that amount of light, you have some algae growth. My tank looks algae free, but if I pick up my driftwood I can see spots of algae where they can't reach. My aceis are like the algae police.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:26 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by christine2012
The thing about the algae, is you probably ARE getting algae growth. Your cichlids stay on top of any algae growth. Pick up a rock or something off the bottom, or look in nooks and crannies where they might not be able to reach. I almost guarantee with that amount of light, you have some algae growth. My tank looks algae free, but if I pick up my driftwood I can see spots of algae where they can't reach. My aceis are like the algae police.
You are correct. I do have minimal algae growth. My Bristlenose Pleco and Mbuna keep it check by constant grazing.

Tags
clarity, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com