Protomelas taeniolatus (Red Empress Hap) size?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daven

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a quick question regarding the full grown size of the red empress fish... I have been looking into keeping one in my 75 gallon (48x18" footprint) with yellow labs and etc and have been seeing varying info on how big they get. Originally when i looked them up i had seen 5-6", and after checking out even more sites i see that some say up to even 9-10". So thats a big difference in whether or not it would be wise to take one on. Do any of you own these full grown or know for sure what im looking at longterm? And does anyone have recommendations for sites to rely on for the most part when researching care and specs on different fish?

7 inches, 75g would be fine. You want to buy a group? I breed them!

I'm buying a couple different fish from someone local already, but thanks! You think they would do best in a group or a single male? So far I was planning to also have electric yellow, acei, and solousi as well in a 1m/3f ratio. Still figuring out stocking list

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm buying a couple different fish from someone local already, but thanks! You think they would do best in a group or a single male? So far I was planning to also have electric yellow, acei, and solousi as well in a 1m/3f ratio. Still figuring out stocking list

Well, a single male would do just fine. Depends on if you want babies or not. He may not color very well with a bunch of boisterous mbuna. I've heard some stories about red empress being pretty aggressive so it depends on the fish temperament too.

The other fish I picked were supposed to be pretty mild tempered as far as mbuna go. Do you think it would be more comfortable in a group of its own?

Back
Top Bottom