Puffer/Cichlid question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Teej

Aquarium Advice Regular
HI Everyone... In my tank.. I am contemplating getting rid of all my tetras.. the goldfish are out the door as fast as I can get them out regardless.... After all those fish are gone, my tank will look a little barron.. and I was considering getting like 2 or 3 puffer fish... Will the be alright? I heard they are aggressive... I currently have my 2 turtles (which have not eaten a live fish in atleast 4 months... except for guppies), some cichlids (Green Terror and Sunshine Yellow), and one baby oscar, 1 pirana (that has NEVER hunted, they only hunt in packs) and a dojo loach... nothing else could be considered aggressive in my tank. And on the fish that I have that "are" aggressive.. I have not had a fatality (except for guppies) in many months (thus who my goldfish have gotten SO BIG). So my question is... Think the Puffer will be alright? I have LOTS of caves to hide in. My water is already semi-brackish to accommodate the cichlids and oscar. Thanks for you input!

I'm not trying to attack you or anything, but you really need to get rid of more than just the tetras, and not add anything else. IMO it's not really a question of aggression, but providing a healthy and suitable environment. Green terrors and oscars get huge, and ONE of these fish at adult size would pretty much max out a 75 gallon in terms of bioload. This environment is not really appropriate for turtles either, they should really have the entire tank to themselves. I keep 2 yellow bellied sliders at work by themselves in a 55 or 60 gallon tank, and it's really to small for them (problem is, I'll never be able to talk them into buying a bigger tank for them). If you want more fish, just try getting another tank. Try checking around for a used one if you don't want to pay for a new one. MTS is not a bad thing (coming from the girl with 7 tanks :lol: )!

She is right...

The oscar alone will get a foot long.. the green terror is about the same size at adulthood... they are very big fish.. You should look into reducing the stock of fish.. Some people would keep up to 4 or 5 big fish in a 75 gallon aquarium but they would have allot of filtration.. like 700-800 gallons/hr..2 emperor 400's or 2 aquaclear 110(500)'s.. if fish get sick they would not do well in that much current I would have a QT tank ready all the time...I think I would go with a 29gal for that..

I agree with the above, but (if you had only a couple of other fish in this tank) as for your puffer question you are very limited in regard to FW puffers. Dwarfs would be very much too small and would get eaten, and SA puffers are about the only FW puffs I can think of (in my limited knowledge) for that size tank, but you really run the risk of it nipping and taking chunks out of your other fish, no matter how tough they might be - it is the nature of puffers. As a broad general statement, puffers don't usually make great community fish.

I have also thought of keeping cichlids (yellow labs etc..) with puffer fish (probably sa) but i first wanted to know if anyone else had had success... well anyone?

Puffers are really aggressive and there are only a handful of FW puffers, most of which will grow to be too big and WAY to aggressive for a community tank.. the only smaller puffers are what TankGirl mentioned... and SA's and I wouldn't risk it. My SA puffer got upset with me for something minor and bit my hand, no doubt they will infure other fish

I agree with all the others about the other issues in the tank as well

I actually think that green terrors get a bit bulkier than Oscars, plus there is a reason they have that name.

I'm sorry but this would not be a good mix in your tank. Puffers do best in a species only tank. Or you can have a new tank with hand selected and researched tank mates.

Dwarf puffers seem to be ok with otos, and I have a tank with figure 8s and bumble bee gobies, and all are happy.

If you go for the latter make sure to up the amount of salt. True brackish isn't far from marine when you look at the amount of salt needed in the water.

Back
Top Bottom