puffer fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are a bunch that does not need salt. You want recommendation?

The obvious choice is dwarf puffer because they are active and only need 5 gallon. They are too small for me and will only grow to 1inch.

These guys need at least 20 gallons per puffer:

If want something active, then you could always get a Avocado puffer. They are not round like your typical puffer.

If you want lurking or nocturnal puffer, then get a red eyed puffer. Although they are not as active as a GSP or F8, they will come out from hiding when they are hungry. Just feed them lightly everyday. If they are too full, then they are less likely to come out from hiding. There are a lot varieties of red eyed puffer, so you will have an easier time finding one at your LFS.

I think it all comes down to what your LFS have in stock. You will have to go to many privately owned fish stores to know what is available to you. Most of your LFS will probably have a dwarf puffer though.

I have a puffer I thought was going to grow to about 6 inches. He's been in a 20 gal for a few months now and well he's just a tad over an inch, and holding. We named him urkle... And he's neat!! Feel bad he's got all that room, as I had plans on putting him in my 55 once he grew. He eats his lil snails and meets me for meal time. A friendly lil guy....

I've had real success with south American puffers. They're awesome little fish and three are right at home in a 25 gallon tank. Mine like mysis shrimp, bloodworms, and snails. Their teeth grow really fast so you need to keep on top of them. Otherwise, they are great little fish with awesome personalities. Oh, and they like heavily planted tanks. I find java fern and amazon swords work really well with them.

Are there any puffer fish that don't require brackish water?

South Americans Puffer (SAP) are good, but eventually you will have to manually trim the teeth yourself. This is done by sedating the SAPs, holding them in your hand, and using a nail cutting device to cut their teeth. Even with a main staple of hard shelled food, you will be required to do this once or twice per year. Not many people are comfortable with this requirement, but do you think you will be able to do this?

I had 2 SAPs in a 30 gal. They didn't do well with such low numbers, so I traded them out to get my Turgidus puffer. SAPs will do best in a group of 3+ inside a 40+ gallon tank. They are unlike any puffer I've seen or owned because they are not loners and need a schooling group. I will eventually get SAPs again when I get a bigger tank :D

Terrance said:
South Americans Puffer (SAP) are good, but eventually you will have to manually trim the teeth yourself. This is done by sedating the SAPs, holding them in your hand, and using a nail cutting device to cut their teeth. Even with a main staple of hard shelled food, you will be required to do this once or twice per year. Not many people are comfortable with this requirement, but do you think you will be able to do this?

I had 2 SAPs in a 30 gal. They didn't do well with such low numbers, so I traded them out to get my Turgidus puffer. SAPs will do best in a group of 3+ inside a 40+ gallon tank. They are unlike any puffer I've seen or owned because they are not loners and need a schooling group. I will eventually get SAPs again when I get a bigger tank :D

Totally agreed. I forgot to mention the teeth trimming :S but yeah I have to do mine about twice a year.

Back
Top Bottom