Purigen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slayer72

Aquarium Advice Freak
Has anyone used Purigen in a HOB? I was wondering if it would eliminate all my BB? Its supposed to take out all ammonia etc. Will this "starve" my good bacteria?

Purigen is great, it won't kill your BB. I added it to my filter when I added some driftwood that stained the water. Since the it's kept the tank crystal clear. Why do you want to add it?

Purigen is great, it won't kill your BB. I added it to my filter when I added some driftwood that stained the water. Since the it's kept the tank crystal clear. Why do you want to add it?

I've heard it makes the water crystal clear. Although my water is already pretty clear, I'm always wanting improvement. Lol

I will say that my biggest battle is detritus. PIA and irritating to see lol but the best remedy is polyfill. Usually replace it every couple weeks. Cheap and works great.

Has anyone used Purigen in a HOB? I was wondering if it would eliminate all my BB? Its supposed to take out all ammonia etc. Will this "starve" my good bacteria?

You put the purigen so that its the last thing the water passes through, so its only removing excess organics that your bb colony hasn't used.
I mostly use it in my canisters, because there isn't much real estate in HOBs and bio media is more important IMO. Although a couple of my tanks have a HOB specifically for holding coral rubble and purigen (not for mechanical or biological filtration) in addition to their canisters.

You put the purigen so that its the last thing the water passes through, so its only removing excess organics that your bb colony hasn't used.
I mostly use it in my canisters, because there isn't much real estate in HOBs and bio media is more important IMO. Although a couple of my tanks have a HOB specifically for holding coral rubble and purigen (not for mechanical or biological filtration) in addition to their canisters.

I have a canister as well as the HOB. The reason I asked is I just bought the HOB(Marineland 350) and there is a decent amount of space left in the box after the cartridges. Maybe some Matrix in mesh bags?

Back
Top Bottom