Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-17-2014, 12:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Purigen or chemical-pure for media?

Hello all. Just joined the community this morning and was really happy to find this community. I have recently restarted my fascination with the aquarium hobby after a ten year hiatus trying to afford children. Lol. I now have the excuse of a 12 year old son who loves fish, spent countless hours and local zoo checking out there aquariums to get back in. I have messed with all types of aquariums but finally decided to go the african cichlid way. Through some discussions with LFS and a whole heck of a lot of reading I have decided to get away from the carbon and go different route. Explain my setup. 56 gallon column with 3 mbuna and 11 peacocks. Adding two to three more in next month. Got a great deal on the setup so all my fish are juves (no bigger than 2 inches) and getting the pieces together to move them to 75 gallon shortly. Running sponges in the back corners powered with power heads and a c-360 marineland canister filter. There has been some recent growing pains with a problem with high nitrates and found out there was too much food going in. Got this under control. Just wanted the opinion of u all between the two listed above. I really like the fact chemi-pure has been around long time. Used in reef tank in the past. Appreciate any comments.

Old 05-17-2014, 02:39 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

I use purigen in my tanks,

Old 05-17-2014, 03:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I use carbon and purigen in my freshwater tank. I don't really notice much difference in my tank but I still run them.
Old 05-17-2014, 03:27 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I like the price of purigen compared to chemi. I have been reading about the disadvantage of carbon in planted tanks due to sucking all the trace elements out. Just wondered if these will do the same. Says no but well do I need to say. Thank u for the input.
Old 05-17-2014, 06:59 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use Purigen in all my tanks religiously . Especially the shrimp tanks and with the ability to be recharged. It makes it that much more cost effective

Sent from my VK810 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tags
chemi, chemical, media, purigen

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com