Question about hap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
See look at that, AA pays off!! I learned alot just from keeping up with this thread! Thank you everyone!!!

haha AA is unbelievable. so many friendly and informative people and others who want to learn and care for their fish. awesome. hows the male behaving? x

So I justed vented my lab and she is a girl yah! So why is my male Hap chasing her around tank is it normal? And I have also been learning alot thank you everyone for all the info help it's been alot of help since this is my first time with cichlids. And I am loving it!

Will do I always have questions lol I'm curious to learn my fish as much as possible. So him chasing her means he likes what he sees and wants to breed? How will I be able to tell when she is ready? Will she hang around him more? What signs should I look for?

Never mind, I looked at the pictures... Sciaenochromis Fryeri/electric blue right?

ahli by the looks of it x

signs are only really after the spawning, it will be a sudden 'ok fine get it over with' thing and then she pretty much goes into hiding and/or defends her territory.
i had ZERO signs for my ob zebra. had no idea my cbz was even interested in her lol. but life happens like that :L

Yes he is a Sciaenochromis fryeri. Okay so I just need to watch for her activity to slow down and for her to hide, and watch to see if her chin drops, right? When she does get ready to let her fry out of her mouth do I need to separate the male and female? Will the male eat the babies?

No problem! :)

If you have more males than females, the males typically will hunt and kill off females and make your tank a male only tank. Males are definitely more aggressive.

Chasing is for breeding and for territory, they will defend their territory with their life :D

I don't know much about breeding, but typically fry won't last in a tank because all the other fish will eat them, that's why people separate the fry from the tank.

id get a breeder net and strip the female when there are fry in her mouth. so theres no worries about the parents (or other fish!) nomming babies, plus the mum gets access to food sooner. x

Back
Top Bottom