Question about ram

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know the back of the fin look shorter but it is longer lol. Everytime lil bit seen the camera she would move lol. It is hard to get pics of them. And when I bought it, it had no color so I think it's still a baby.

Yeah I know what you mean about the moving problem. How longer have you had this ram? And how long has it been in that specific tank?

Hmm, I'd say give it a bit more time and see if the colors improve, if they don't then I'm going to say its a Bolivian ram.

It's definitely a Bolivian Ram. I have a pair of them in my 33 gallon tank. Like others have said, they are cichlids and try and defend their territory. They can be kept in a community with smaller species which live in shoals like tetras, rasboras. Once the bichir is out, it'll mark its territory and defend it. Bolivians dont really harm other fish and thd best they can do is push them away. Although not as colourful as GBR, they are more hardier. They are difficult to sex if they are young, but the only way to confirm the sex is by looking at the ovipositor (sex organ - tube like underneath the belly). Obviously a female bolivian will have a bigger ovipositor which can be seen clearly, but again difficult to sex young bolivians.

Some pics sorry about the poop lol it's the plecto!
Definitely a Bolivian. IMO, it look like a female, but they are notoriously hard to sex as juveniles. You do not follow the same guidelines to sex them as you do with blue rams. I have found definite belly shape differences in the genders, but its sortof hard to describe without pictures. The male's belly is a bit concave. It goes up by the ovipositer, but the female has a rounder belly. I will try to find some pictures to explain what I mean.

Definitely a Bolivian. IMO, it look like a female, but they are notoriously hard to sex as juveniles. You do not follow the same guidelines to sex them as you do with blue rams. I have found definite belly shape differences in the genders, but its sortof hard to describe without pictures. The male's belly is a bit concave. It goes up by the ovipositer, but the female has a rounder belly. I will try to find some pictures to explain what I mean.

Okay pics would be great I'm trying to keep my last cichlid alive! It's getting a little color. There is like a blueish green on the gills coming in, and the fins are turning reddish pink.

Chasnkevin4ever said:
Okay pics would be great I'm trying to keep my last cichlid alive! It's getting a little color. There is like a blueish green on the gills coming in, and the fins are turning reddish pink.

Here's a video of mine

Hey so I was on some websites looking at different rams. I came across one called ram cichlid, that is what my honey said the name was. It kinda looks like the one that I have. Does anyone know about the ram cichlids?

So are those females or males? Do they not get color?

I have not sexed them. Color comes and goes with stress or whatever. They gain more color the longer you have them and the older they get... I probably should figure out what their sexes are :) HEHE :ermm:

Hey so I was on some websites looking at different rams. I came across one called ram cichlid, that is what my honey said the name was. It kinda looks like the one that I have. Does anyone know about the ram cichlids?
Both German blue rams and Bolivian rams are cichlids. They are both species of ram cichlid. :) You have a Bolivian, so no, it will not get a bunch of color. They still get to be very pretty, but they will not get as colorful as the gbr do.

Back
Top Bottom