Question about ram

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chasnkevin4ever

Aquarium Advice Freak
Earlier today I seen my ram show aggression towards my bichir is that normal? Could it have been something else besides aggression?

Yes it could be aggression. Once rams start to become older, they'll establish territories and be aggressive to anything that comes near it. That may be a reason. How big is the tank?

bruinsbro1997 said:
Yes it could be aggression. Once rams start to become older, they'll establish territories and be aggressive to anything that comes near it. That may be a reason. How big is the tank?

The tank is a 20g still waiting on my bigger tank, it should be any day. I can't seem to find anyone who wants my bichir, so I am trying to get my tanks and split the ram and bichir up. The ram is going to stay in 20g and I am going to put my bichir in different tank by itself. I thought the rams were not aggressive, at least that is what I read. It said they r good community fish and peaceful, is that wrong? Could I get my ram a mate after I get the bichir out of the tank?

Chasnkevin4ever said:
The tank is a 20g still waiting on my bigger tank, it should be any day. I can't seem to find anyone who wants my bichir, so I am trying to get my tanks and split the ram and bichir up. The ram is going to stay in 20g and I am going to put my bichir in different tank by itself. I thought the rams were not aggressive, at least that is what I read. It said they r good community fish and peaceful, is that wrong? Could I get my ram a mate after I get the bichir out of the tank?
I have 2 bolivians rams in my 55g and they are chasing and nipping on each other and the Angels. They are definitely territorial.

Chasnkevin4ever said:
So I should leave her in there by herself? No other fish, if I can put fish what type?

I'm not really sure but you could maybe put some kind of mid/top dwellers.
I'm not an expert on any area of fish keeping just yet so hopefully someone can give u some perfect advice. I'm
Sure u can put some kind of tank-mate with him/her

I have had rams for a few months now and a female is just now showing aggression. I've noticed she only goes after my rainbows and cherry barbs (very rarely). I have yet to see her go after my hippies or neon tetras. From this I could say rams are generally peaceful, but they have individual personalities like many other fish. When the rams are breeding they are very territorial, almost without a doubt.

Sorry if I'm not making much sense, it's late and I can't fall asleep. :)

Cereal said:
I have had rams for a few months now and a female is just now showing aggression. I've noticed she only goes after my rainbows and cherry barbs (very rarely). I have yet to see her go after my hippies or neon tetras. From this I could say rams are generally peaceful, but they have individual personalities like many other fish. When the rams are breeding they are very territorial, almost without a doubt.

Sorry if I'm not making much sense, it's late and I can't fall asleep. :)

Ur making sense lol I get that way too. No worries!

Chasnkevin4ever said:
How do I tell difference it has little color right now?

**All of this is assuming you have a German Blue Ram (didn't see you state what type of ram)**

To tell if it is a female you can...
• Look at the belly, if it is pinkish then it is female. (I find this the easiest way to tell with GBRs)
• Look at the black dot behind its eyes. If it is solid black then it is female (this was somewhat hard for me when I first got a pair. As they get older this becomes a good way to check gender).
• Look at the dorsal fin, if the back ray is shorter than the front ray then it's female

To tell if it is a male you can...
• Look at the belly, if it does not have any pink to it then it is male.
• Look at the black dot behind its eyes. If blue is mixed in with the black then it is male.
• Look at the dorsal fin, if the back ray is taller than the front ray then it is male.

Those are just a few ways to sex them. You can find a few good websites that go into more detail by googling "sexing German blue rams."

Here is a link to the first website that comes up. I used it when I was looking for my first pair.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/cichlid/germanblueram.php

Rams are cichlids and they have variable temperments. Honestly, I think your ram will chill out once you get the birchir out of the tank. But, you never know. I have 2 male rams in a 40 and they couldn't care less about anybody but each other. Even then they don't fight, they just like to be on opposite sides of the tank whenever possible. IMO, usually rams are peaceful community dwellers, but you never know. There are sometimes aggresive ones.
You can google images for German blue ram and Bolivian ram to see which one you have.
You could maybe get your ram a mate once the birchir is out, but with all fish (especially cichlids of any sort) you need to kep an eye on it to make sure there isn't aggression between the 2. I think you would also be fine to get some peaceful tankmates. Rams really stay on the bottom IME, so fish that stay on the top or mid levels of the tank don't bother them IME.

Rams are cichlids and they have variable temperments. Honestly, I think your ram will chill out once you get the birchir out of the tank. But, you never know. I have 2 male rams in a 40 and they couldn't care less about anybody but each other. Even then they don't fight, they just like to be on opposite sides of the tank whenever possible. IMO, usually rams are peaceful community dwellers, but you never know. There are sometimes aggresive ones.
You can google images for German blue ram and Bolivian ram to see which one you have.
You could maybe get your ram a mate once the birchir is out, but with all fish (especially cichlids of any sort) you need to kep an eye on it to make sure there isn't aggression between the 2. I think you would also be fine to get some peaceful tankmates. Rams really stay on the bottom IME, so fish that stay on the top or mid levels of the tank don't bother them IME.
I have noticed that my ram swims all over tank. I would have an aggressive one with my luck!

Attached is a picture of my old male German Blue Ram. I don't have any good pictures of the female. I'll take some when I get home

Edit: taken on my iPhone; not the best quality

Attachments

• image-2852200525.jpg
    image-2852200525.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 81
Thank you. Too bad he died a few months ago. I just took a few pictures of the female I have. Once again I did it with my iPhone do the quality isn't the greatest. She also wouldn't stop moving long enough for me to get a focused shot.

Attachments

• image-2454970578.jpg
    image-2454970578.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 64
  • image-3375646258.jpg
    image-3375646258.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 70
  • image-1774376585.jpg
    image-1774376585.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 69
Those are both pretty fish! I just took a look a my fish and I think I have a male, the back part of his fin is longer than the front let me try to get a pic for u!

Some pics sorry about the poop lol it's the plecto!

Attachments

• image-955790755.jpg
    image-955790755.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 67
  • image-452628132.jpg
    image-452628132.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 74
  • image-1056277441.jpg
    image-1056277441.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 61
  • image-2764676465.jpg
    image-2764676465.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 63
I don't think that's a GBR, and if it is then it is vey pale (which is fine if it was just added to the tank). It's probably a Bolivian Ram. Sorry, I don't know anything about them, but from what I've heard they are very similar to GBRs. Try googling "sexing Bolivian ram cichlids" and see if that helps.

After reading a few articles on them I want to say that is a female based on the pink belly (i don't know what the male belly is supposed to look like) and from the pictures it looked like the back ray of the dorsal fin was the same size as the front, if not shorter. It is easier to sex them when they are right in front of you, unlike looking in a picture. Try a few reading a few articles and looking at a few pictures that describe the different ways to sex them.

Back
Top Bottom