Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-07-2014, 11:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Question if you will.

You have all been so great and the tips are fantastic and appreciated.

An easy or not so easy question. On good care (65 gallon 5 fish) my numbers are
Ph 8, ammonia, .25, nitrite, 0 nitrate .20.

My numbers have been the same for three weeks. Soooo do I need a weekly water change? Or when to change? I always did a weekly but am trying to change bad habits.

Also with 5 can I or should I add a few more, 1 or 2. Now would be the time.

Thanks in advance for any input. Sorry for spelling and typing, a four year old is sleeping on me and I cand move.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Yahoo to George9
How long has your tank been set up? It doesn't look like it's been completely cycled. You want to keep ammonia as low as possible, if it rises above .25 ppm, do a water change.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

First, is this a new tank ? It doesn't sound as though it's cycled yet. Any value of ammonia is toxic. However, depending on your pH level will dictate the level of toxic ammonia you actually have. Example, a pH of 6.6 with an ammo reading of 1 is not as bad as a pH of 8 with an ammo reading of .1

To go further, it's a 65g with 5 fish. Are they 1-1/2" neons or 14" catfish ? Big difference 😂😂. To do 50% or larger WC's is not a bad habit at all. I do that every two days on my 55g and 100% on Sundays.

About adding fish. If it's not cycled then I would say no. Your filter is establishing bb and to add more would throw things off in a bad way. When it does come time to add fish, I would highly suggest a good QT program. It's easier and cheaper to be proactive than reactive.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:13 AM   #4

Thanks for the reply. By my notes, which the kids and I chart, my ammonia has sat at .25 forthe past 90 days. Nitrites hit 0'at 4/26 and has sat at 0, so I thought that I had cycled. The tank start up was on 3/29. Very careful with the food. It was a fish in cycle attempt. Am I missing something? I will admit, I was the " let's go get a tank and fill the whole thing the same day for instant guy" that was years back. Now I'm trying to do things right and can't figure out where we are wrong. Cool thing is the kids and I have a chart for our tests so it's a cool nightly event. Any thoughts and help is appreciated.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:14 AM   #5

Ohhh and the 5 Africans are no larger than 2" tops
Old 06-08-2014, 01:17 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would check for ammonia in your water source. And you could add more fish. But I'd get this ammonia problem figured out first.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:18 AM   #7

Thx, bad habit. I never did a tap water test. I knew that I should have just forget too.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:20 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also, what are you testing with?
If your treating with Prime (best treatment IMO) and using test strips, and if there is ammonia in the tap water, you can get a "false positive" prime or any other treatment will bind with the ammonia making it non toxic, but it will still show up on a test.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:22 AM   #9

API freshwater master test kit.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:22 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's what I suspect, if it was biological, or from cycling you'd have fluctuating readings, but a consistent ammonia reading leads me to believe it's the water source itself.

Tags
question

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com