Quick, boring questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jakepen

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 70 gallon, not fully stocked yet, only 12 in there.As far as water changes every week, about a 30% water change work ok? I have a fluval 406, and emperor 400, how often would you recommend cleaning those and changing carbon? I mean I have a general idea, but I really love hearing your guys opinions and processes, any input I appreciate

Your water test results will determine your water change interval and amount, I don't let any of my tanks reach nitrate levels of 20ppm. This is accomplished through weekly 50-60% water changes, in reality they stay closer to 10ppm but 20 is my personal limit. That's the ideal level for optimal growth and long term health. I don't use carbon unless I'm removing medication, if your using the 400 use the plastic trays and make your own cartridges with Polyfill or blue bonded filter foam from Marineland.

Last edited:
I have a 70 gallon, not fully stocked yet, only 12 in there.As far as water changes every week, about a 30% water change work ok? I have a fluval 406, and emperor 400, how often would you recommend cleaning those and changing carbon? I mean I have a general idea, but I really love hearing your guys opinions and processes, any input I appreciate

I break my canisters down and clean them about every 3 months. I rinse the media and trays in tank water and then slap them back together. I don't use carbon in any of my canisters. The carbon has been replaced with polyfill. I find it to be a lot better at catching the smaller particles and when gets nasty I toss it out and add new stuff.
As far as water changes go, I do 50% per tank, weekly. The fish I keep are quite messy so anything less than 50% does seem to cut it for me.

Your water test results will determine your water change interval and amount, I don't let any of my tanks reach nitrate levels of 20ppm. This is accomplished through weekly 50-60% water changes, in reality they stay closer to 10ppm but 20 is my personal limit. That's the ideal level for optimal growth and long term health. I don't use carbon unless I'm removing medication, if your using the 400 use the plastic trays and make your own cartridges with Polyfill or blue bonded filter foam from Marineland.

Ok, in the 400 I put bio max in the trays, just figured the more bb the better, really don't want my ammonia levels getting high at all. I suppose I could take them out though, maybe put them in a mesh bag, and stuff them in the filter somewhere. And when you say you don't use carbon, the pads that come with the filter, you don't use those? What would you put in place of them? And ok, the carbon bags in my fluval, you personally would replace those with poly fill or the blue bonded filter foam?

I break my canisters down and clean them about every 3 months. I rinse the media and trays in tank water and then slap them back together. I don't use carbon in any of my canisters. The carbon has been replaced with polyfill. I find it to be a lot better at catching the smaller particles and when gets nasty I toss it out and add new stuff.
As far as water changes go, I do 50% per tank, weekly. The fish I keep are quite messy so anything less than 50% does seem to cut it for me.

Thanks for the advice man, I might as well do 50 percent like you guys say. If I'm already taking 5 buckets full of water, might as well take 7 ha..

Ok, in the 400 I put bio max in the trays, just figured the more bb the better, really don't want my ammonia levels getting high at all. I suppose I could take them out though, maybe put them in a mesh bag, and stuff them in the filter somewhere. And when you say you don't use carbon, the pads that come with the filter, you don't use those? What would you put in place of them? And ok, the carbon bags in my fluval, you personally would replace those with poly fill or the blue bonded filter foam?

No I don't use any carbon, my canisters are stuffed with Biomax and Fluval pads, my Aquaclears are stuffed with Biomax and sponges, and my sump tray is stuffed with bioballs and polyfil in the drip tray.

In the 406 I'd run just your media and medium filters pads or polyfil.

In the 400 I'd run Biomax in the first tray and polyfil/blue bonded in back so the waste does clog up the Biomax.

You want the polyfil or other media pads before the filter media, this will keep media from getting clogged with detritus.

I'd also invest in a Python water changer, this will make your weekly water changes quicker and easier.

No I don't use any carbon, my canisters are stuffed with Biomax and Fluval pads, my Aquaclears are stuffed with Biomax and sponges, and my sump tray is stuffed with bioballs and polyfil in the drip tray.

In the 406 I'd run just your media and medium filters pads or polyfil.

In the 400 I'd run Biomax in the first tray and polyfil/blue bonded in back so the waste does clog up the Biomax.

You want the polyfil or other media pads before the filter media, this will keep media from getting clogged with detritus.

I'd also invest in a Python water changer, this will make your weekly water changes quicker and easier.

Alright, just curious why don't you use carbon? Also that python looks like a great investment. But when filling the tank back up, how do I treat the water? Before I would mix the stress zyme (or coat I forget which one) in the bucket, to kill the chlorine. So how do I add that to the water from the faucet, when using the python?

Alright, just curious why don't you use carbon? ?

I think it's a wasted expense unless your trying to remove tantric acid from driftwood or removing medications, otherwise lots of water changes will keep your tank crystal clear without the added expense.

Also that python looks like a great investment. But when filling the tank back up, how do I treat the water? Before I would mix the stress zyme (or coat I forget which one) in the bucket, to kill the chlorine. So how do I add that to the water from the faucet, when using the python?

I use Prime by Seachem which is by far the best water conditioner, not only for function but also for price. I add conditioner to the tank directly dosing for the entire tank volume before I fill the tank, this is where Prime really starts to pay for itself. Prime uses 5ml for 50g and Stess Coat uses 10ml for 10g, so you can see Prime saves you money over the competition.

Last edited:
I used Prime by Seachem which is by far the best water conditioner, not only for function but also for price. I add conditioner to the tank directly dosing for the entire tank volume before I fill the tank, this is where Prime really starts to pay for itself. Prime uses 5ml for 50g and Stess Coat uses 10ml for 10g, so you can see Prime pays for itself.[/QUOTE]

Oh ok, I wasn't sure if that would be harmful at all or as beneficial adding the prime directly to the tank. Alright, well thanks for all the advice man.

No worries, and what happened to those fish you acclimated?

Went smooth, dripped em for about an hour, dropped them in and they're all happy, settling in nicely.

4 yellow labs
2 cobalt zebras
2 red zebras
1 demasoni
2 ob peacocks
1 red Jacob
1 rhoadessi

I know the rhoadessi probably isn't a good fit in there, for many reasons. Kind of a dumb purchase, but his colors already man, nice blue, nice green, orange tips. I'm probably gonna have to give him back to my lfs pretty soon though. Don't want him to big in there. Also whatever females I see in there I'll take back, id like an all male tank.

Well good then the only other thing to do is post some pictures:)

Hah no doubt, tonight at midnight will be there first photo shoot than. (That's about when I get home from work)

Back
Top Bottom