Quick question on wc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jconyers

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Thanks to all who have answered in the past. This could be a dumb question.

60 gallons and six fish.

I have not done a water change since 5/18. Since that date my numbers are: ph 7.8, ammonia .25(my tap water is .25), nitrite 0, nitrate 0. These number are staying consistent.

Should I be proud of myself by holding these numbers or should I be doing a water change just to change a bit of water? Plus are there any potential beneficial minerals that a small wc would add.

Fish are happy as can be, feeding ever 3-4 days.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Water Changes

Hello jc...

The number of fish in the tank doesn't matter. Half the water should be changed at least every couple of weeks to maintain good mineral levels especially calcium which helps maintain a level pH. Water changes are the best, easiest and only guaranteed way to maintain safe water conditions for the fish and any plants.

Even traces of ammonia or nitrite in the tank water can damage the sensitive gill tissues that help the fish breath. Feeding the fish every few days still leaves uneaten food to dissolve and foul the tank water.

Here's a test for you. Syphon off a few gallons of tank water into a bucket and fill another with some water from the tap. Compare the two and be honest, do they look the same? My guess is the tank water is an amber color compared to the new tap water. That's dissolved fish waste and the fish are living in it. If you're changing a lot of tank water and changing it often, the two will be nearly identical, because there's no time for wastes to build up before they're removed through a water change.

Change the tank water more often. Your fish will appreciate it.

B

Even if your tap is .25 a cycled filter should convert it in 24 hours to 0

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

And your tank should generally be showing some nitrates. Looks like your tank isn't cycled

bring a sample of your tank water and tap water to a good lfs and have them test it some tests are fooled by the chemicals added to tap water
also what kind of fish and what size
six small neons might not make enough ammonia to cycle a 60 gal tank

Back
Top Bottom