Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-26-2002, 04:49 AM   #1

rabid oscar!! lol

lordee, my O is going nutz, caught him earlier rolling, yes rolling , a clay pot around through the gravel--when it wouldn't roll, he'd just push as hard as he could to get it going again. well it was pretty funny to watch so i didn't immediately move it out. so, what do you know, i walk in the kitchen and i hear a loud CLUNK! well, he'd rammed it into the side of the tank. luckily this one has thicker glass than most. phew! well, frisky Omar lost his newfound toy. not even an hour later, i noticed something unfamiliar laying on top of the gravel when i was walking by. Seems Omar took a dislike to my thermometer that has been in the tank since he was around 2 inches, what i had seen was a chunk of it, it was smashed...so, was this payback for taking his toy? LOL

Old 10-26-2002, 09:54 AM   #2

Pretty funny crazyB. Got me wondering, is there anything non-dangerous you can put in a Oscar tank for them to play with? Fish toys!
Old 10-26-2002, 03:39 PM   #3

well some ppl use ping pong balls, fishing floats anchored with a string to the bottom, of course mine have showed very little interest in any things nondangerous so far...
Old 10-26-2002, 10:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Jacob Morgan Send a message via MSN to Jacob Morgan Send a message via Yahoo to Jacob Morgan
mine lieks fingers.. if u put ure finger in the water it will bite it..it looks just like the one on teh banner..

Umm we have yet to keep a thermometer in his tank went trhu SEVERAL.. so it stays pretty chilly botu 72degrees...

Jacob
Old 10-28-2002, 01:29 AM   #5

well, he didn't get the heater, he can't get to it...so it is still warm, just don't know how warm at the moment! lol, that tank stays stable so i think he will be ok for a few days until i get them another, hopefully tougher model...if that doesn't work , i suppose it will have to go in the filter....i have never let mine chew on my fingers, so at least right now, they don't see them as toys, of course their mouths just keep getting bigger....
Old 10-29-2002, 06:42 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

how cool is this

i've got an oscar tank now, my newest hobby. mine are about 2 inches long.. how long until they'll be roughing up my thermometers?

the bigger the better i say
Old 10-29-2002, 08:51 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Jacob Morgan Send a message via MSN to Jacob Morgan Send a message via Yahoo to Jacob Morgan
Heheh I am guess when there about 4" or larger from head to tail.. thats a guess.. Maybe smaller. We did not discover he broke his thermometer till it was too late... Since we are moving our store I believe my dad turned the he ater off so it was getting just down right COLD in the building at night. I think this is what did them in. He lost 2-3 oscars between 2-3 tanks. The ones to survive had a workin heater. The largest one hasn't broken his yet Maybe, he has figured out its not a good thing to break them hehe

good luck... How many oscars and what size tank if I may ask?

Jacob
Old 10-29-2002, 11:29 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Ramrebel
you guys are nuts

why not just keep piranhas or something like that?
maybe seals to balance balls on their nose

Ed

PS - try an strip thermometer on outside of tank

20g - fireparrot
Ramrebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 04:19 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to NetBloke Send a message via MSN to NetBloke Send a message via Yahoo to NetBloke
My Mexican cichlad is nuts too. He continually moves the gravel from one end of the tank to the other. It is quite impressive. I bought him a big pot to hide in which he seems to like too.

I did buy the tetratec filter so he wouldnt attack the heater, but it was too noisy for my office. however he now doesn't seem to mind the current heater I have in there. It is screwed tighter to the side I think, so he cannot move it!
NetBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 05:54 PM   #10

i have 2 now in a 90 gallon that are around 9 inches long, they don't want to hold still for me with my measuring stick, so that's a guestimate--they have not really bothered much of anything until they got about 7 inches or so, then they started getting friskier...pirahnas are boring...they hide too much from what i have seen...besides, who feels comfortable petting a 9 inch pirahna on it's belly ?

Tags
oscar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com