rabid oscar!! lol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CRaZeeeBiTcHisH

Aquarium Advice Freak
lordee, my O is going nutz, caught him earlier rolling, yes rolling , a clay pot around through the gravel--when it wouldn't roll, he'd just push as hard as he could to get it going again. well it was pretty funny to watch so i didn't immediately move it out. so, what do you know, i walk in the kitchen and i hear a loud CLUNK! well, he'd rammed it into the side of the tank. luckily this one has thicker glass than most. phew! well, frisky Omar lost his newfound toy. not even an hour later, i noticed something unfamiliar laying on top of the gravel when i was walking by. Seems Omar took a dislike to my thermometer that has been in the tank since he was around 2 inches, what i had seen was a chunk of it, it was smashed...so, was this payback for taking his toy? LOL

Pretty funny crazyB. Got me wondering, is there anything non-dangerous you can put in a Oscar tank for them to play with? Fish toys!

well some ppl use ping pong balls, fishing floats anchored with a string to the bottom, of course mine have showed very little interest in any things nondangerous so far... :roll:

mine lieks fingers.. if u put ure finger in the water it will bite it..it looks just like the one on teh banner..

Umm we have yet to keep a thermometer in his tank went trhu SEVERAL.. so it stays pretty chilly botu 72degrees...

Jacob

well, he didn't get the heater, he can't get to it...so it is still warm, just don't know how warm at the moment! lol, that tank stays stable so i think he will be ok for a few days until i get them another, hopefully tougher model...if that doesn't work , i suppose it will have to go in the filter....i have never let mine chew on my fingers, so at least right now, they don't see them as toys, of course their mouths just keep getting bigger....

how cool is this :lol:

i've got an oscar tank now, my newest hobby. mine are about 2 inches long.. how long until they'll be roughing up my thermometers? :lol:

the bigger the better i say

Heheh I am guess when there about 4" or larger from head to tail.. thats a guess.. Maybe smaller. We did not discover he broke his thermometer till it was too late... Since we are moving our store I believe my dad turned the he ater off so it was getting just down right COLD in the building at night. I think this is what did them in. He lost 2-3 oscars between 2-3 tanks. The ones to survive had a workin heater. The largest one hasn't broken his yet Maybe, he has figured out its not a good thing to break them hehe

good luck... How many oscars and what size tank if I may ask?

Jacob

you guys are nuts

why not just keep piranhas or something like that?
maybe seals to balance balls on their nose

Ed

PS - try an strip thermometer on outside of tank :?:

My Mexican cichlad is nuts too. He continually moves the gravel from one end of the tank to the other. It is quite impressive. I bought him a big pot to hide in which he seems to like too.

I did buy the tetratec filter so he wouldnt attack the heater, but it was too noisy for my office. however he now doesn't seem to mind the current heater I have in there. It is screwed tighter to the side I think, so he cannot move it!

i have 2 now in a 90 gallon that are around 9 inches long, they don't want to hold still for me with my measuring stick, so that's a guestimate--they have not really bothered much of anything until they got about 7 inches or so, then they started getting friskier...pirahnas are boring...they hide too much from what i have seen...besides, who feels comfortable petting a 9 inch pirahna on it's belly ? :wink:

From what I understand if unless you do not feed them for a few WKS! they do not have a frenzy..... they are not very good looking and boring to me. I think angels or a oscar or sumtin might be better.

Jacob

fishfreek said:
I thought they where outlawed for the aquarium trade. Maybe its a local thing vs a national restriction.

I belive that one is state-by-state. You can buy all the piranhas you want in MD. They are in every fish store I ever go to.

Yes, they are boring. The only fish more boring are Gars.

They are banned in Iowa too, or so I was told by a Aquarium Shop Owner, yet he said everyone still had them.

Let me ask the people who think they are boring, are you predominately marine or freshwater people?

NetBloke said:
Let me ask the people who think they are boring, are you predominately marine or freshwater people?

All freshy here. In my 20's I had roommates for a few years, one of them kept piranhas, 6-8 of them. I didn't think they were ugly, they can have pretty good red and silver color. They dont do much but sit there, unless its feeding time. Feeding time, they are fast and vicious, ripping helpless feeder fish to shreds. They'll eat beefheart and stuff, but it was more entertaining to watch 'em shred goldfish. {disclaimer--I'm not like this anymore, but it was fun at the time}.

Ah yes, more coming back to me now. You keep them hungry, they may turn on each other, too much food and they get extra-lazy. Gotta walk a fine line to keep them somewhat active, yet not canniballistic.

corvuscorax said:
I belive that one is state-by-state. You can buy all the piranhas you want in MD. They are in every fish store I ever go to.

are you talking about baltimore by any chance?

i may have to get another tank :lol:

Back
Top Bottom