rainbow shark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gatorjon

Aquarium Advice Activist
My rainbow shark is chasing everything in my tank and just killed a great looking angle. Now he's going after my GBR. Is there anything I can do to settle him down and wonder why he's doing that? Never acted like that in the past and now he's acting like a crazy fish!!!!!

My rainbow shark is chasing everything in my tank and just killed a great looking angle. Now he's going after my GBR. Is there anything I can do to settle him down and wonder why he's doing that? Never acted like that in the past and now he's acting like a crazy fish!!!!!

Welcome to AA!!

How big is your tank and how large is the Rainbow? Is the tank planted with caves / logs? These kinds of "sharks" get very territorial as they get larger, which is a large planted tank (55+ gal) with caves and logs (plastic) are recommended so they have a territory the can claim.

I have a 40 and he's about 4-5 inches. Driftwood in the middle with some live plants.

If I put a green terror or yellow lab in with him would it keep him settle?

The tanks a touch small but unfortunately fish sometimes need to be rehomed due to aggression.

+1 with Hukit ... may need to either get a larger tank .. or return / rehome the Rainbow. It's in their nature really. My 3" Redtail Shark chases the Barbs he started the tank with during feeding. He will chase them one by one from one end to the other. Thankfully it's only during feeding cause it's really my son's fish(a gift from his grandfather), so rehoming the RTS is not really an option.

Also Rainbow / RTS's can get up to 6 inches long ... so yours still has a least one more inch to go.

This rainbow shark is my kids favorite as well, even the wifey

This rainbow shark is my kids favorite as well, even the wifey

That's a tough one :facepalm:.... guess you have an excuse to get a larger tank:brows:

Maybe try getting an ornamental cave at an LFS ... see if it claims it and just hangs out there. It may be your Rainbow has no territory to claim .. so it's claiming the whole tank ... and woe any fish who crosses into the tank:eek:

Not sure if a green terror or yellow lab will work .. I'm not familiar with those fish:nono: Hopefully another member will be able to advise on that. I heard / read somewhere that keeping Rainbows with other fish of their size may curtail aggression ... unfortunately in my tank, the RTS's one of the big-boys and the left side of the tank is mainly its territory during feeding.

Neither of those fish belong in that small of tank. Favorite fish or not if it's killing other tankmates it's time to go or get him a tank of his own.

Guess that answers my questions on green terror / yellow lab.

Well he will be sold sunday to my favorite fish store and I'll get store credit. I'm cool with that and now I can get more GBR's and replace my angle that he killed.

So I traded him off and got a koi angel. She's a baby but looks great.

Back
Top Bottom