Rainbow Shark with Malawis?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Labenator65000

Aquarium Advice FINatic
See my profile for what I have. My LFS said the Rainbow Shark would be compatible. Opinions? As of now no one bothers it at all.

Yeah, i believe a rainbow shark can hold his own. As long as it has a place to retreat to i would think it should be okay.

garfy said:
Having done a little research I would say that yes a rainbow shark will be ok with African cichlids.

This interests me. I wonder if I can get away with that when switch over to my 75g. I'll have 25 Africans in it.

I was quite surprised when I googled it.Several sites said the rainbow shark would be fine.
Personally I prefer the synodontis catfish.They look very much like sharks and are great with Africans.I have 2 in with my Africans and have had for about a year.All the catfish fins are in perfect condition.

garfy said:
I was quite surprised when I googled it.Several sites said the rainbow shark would be fine.
Personally I prefer the synodontis catfish.They look very much like sharks and are great with Africans.I have 2 in with my Africans and have had for about a year.All the catfish fins are in perfect condition.

I saw that too when I was on google and your right, I like look at them better. I read in the aquarium magazine that they are hard to get? Also I have a catfish (I think) he's upside down lol!! I had to get him! When I feed the Africans he comes out from hiding and there he is!! Upside down, I tell my wife, doesn't he get a headache?! LoL.

View attachment 61759

I have one synodontis decorus and one cuckoo catfish.Both are always out swimming.Will try to get some pics when the light comes on in a few hours.
It's really easy to get them here.

garfy said:
I have one synodontis decorus and one cuckoo catfish.Both are always out swimming.Will try to get some pics when the light comes on in a few hours.
It's really easy to get them here.

PM sent.

I have read and heard that Sydontis and Upside Down Catfish are both tough enough to hang with Malawis, so those are a safe bet.
There were mixed opinions on the Rainbow Shark and even Plecos. All are still juveniles at this point. I will post back if there are any issues. Really so far I have no aggressiveness-based casualties. The Johanni mildly picks on every other fish except the Rainbow Shark. Maybe they don't know what to think of it since it is albino.

I have had a Rainbow Shark with roughly 13 malawi's in a 55gallon for about a year. They never even bothered with him. The dominant male even allowed him in his area/castle he had taken over.

I've had one in my adult mbuna tank for over a year.... Got him with no tail.... It's grown back nice and they leave him alone.

Back
Top Bottom