Ram Cichlid in Community Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CJ29DJ

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was wondering how well a Ram Cichlid or other peaceful dwarf cichlids would do in a community tank. I plan to stock the tank with fish such as tetras, gouramis, other small and peaceful fish, small and/or peaceful catfish (e.g. Plecos, Corys), and invertebrates (shrimp, lobster perhaps). Would dwarf cichlids, specifically a Ram, cohabitate well with these other aquatic animals?

A ram would probably be ok with any of those. They are quite a bit pickier about water conditions than the rest though.

Rams are great for a community tank. I have 4 of them in a tank with a school of tetras and 3 gouramis. I have a number of ghost shrimp in there as well. The rams sometime mess with each other, but never with anybody else.

Yeah they're generally pretty well behaved unless they are spawning.

Thanks for the feedback, guys! Your help is appreciated. I'm very satisfied that you guys have had success with Rams in a community and with invertebrates.

Rams are great community fish. I would advise caution as to what type of shrimp you put them with. Ghost are good because they are larger and don't cost to much but Smaller inverts like RCS's would most likely end up as a snack. I put six in my heavily planted ram tank thinking they would be fine. I was wrong!

Back
Top Bottom