Ram Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

3Corsameal

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all....

Been out to some shops over the last few days and looked at the tiger barbs, not sure if i want them, although i'm not ruling em out yet.

Saw some Ram cichlids and loved the look of em, then got told they were cichlids and remembered the state the convicts left my tank in.

have just fully planted the tank and wanted it to be pretty and quite active to look at.

what are these rams like? will they wreck my plants and dig up gravel?

am so stumped as to what fish i want. i want one that swim about a lot

i dont have rams yet,,, YET but my reaserch from many people whom i would trust to care for my fish if i ever dared to go out of town is that rams are great fish, community wise

I bought a blue ram four weeks ago. The only thing I can say about him is that he has been a joy to watch and is a great addition to the tank. I haven't seen him pick on anyone or mess with the plants.

If your water is close to neutral and your tank is fully cycled, rams are a great choice. They don't do well in hard water and they are somewhat sensitive to poor water conditions so you need to keep everything in check.

Aside from that, they don't dig like other cichlids and they won't mess with your plants. They have a great personality and won't bother your other fish. They'll probably scuffle amongst themselves but not to the point of hurting one another. Its actually quite humorous to watch... :D

Rams like clean, stable, softer water. They also thrive in planted tanks. One of my fav fish.

Many thanks all.

they do seem like nice fish, but i opted for 10 tiger barbs instead..........they pretty tiny at the mo, about 1cm big.......

Back
Top Bottom