Ram Compatibility Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FreshwaterJeff

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm contemplating a 30 gallon planted tank this summer, and my initial thought was to build the tank around a pair of German Blue Rams.

Last night, a thought came to mind, though I know nothing of its feasibility: would it work to build the tank around a pair of GBR's and a pair of Bolivian Rams?

Can the two species coexist peacefully?

Thanks in advance.

rich311k said:
Jchillin has them both in his 75 gallon tank. As far as I know he has had no conflicts.

Indeed I do.

fishfeb2006007.jpg

The GBR's (4) are almost a year old and the Bolivians (5) were introduced shortly after spawning (really little guys then) last September. This is not to say this nivarna will last forever...cichlids are pretty fussy about territory and when mating begins, they really don't want other males around.

Numbers-wise, would two pairs or two sets of three work better? Or is that just too many Rams for a 30-gal aquarium, and I should probably just pick either a pair or 3 of one kind?

Going with an odd number increases your chances of getting a pair. Three would not be a bad choice at all. I wouldn't put both species in a 30 gal for the reasons stated above.

Thanks - I think you're right, I should just pick one species for this tank, unless I decide to expand upwards of 40 gal or so.

Now, how do I choose? ;)

Between a 30 gal and a 40 gal?? You should always consider picking the most (biggest) economical sized (biggest) tank. This way you stay within your (biggest) budget. :wink:

No, I meant between Bolivians and GBRs...

I'm definitely going to buy the biggest tank I can afford - monetarily, spacially, and in terms of goodwill from my fiancee...

If it makes any difference to you, the Bolivian rams are definitely easier to keep. I've had 4 of them and I still have 2 (2 died, I'm pretty sure from old age since there was no evidence of a disease outbreak in that tank). They don't look too colorful when you see them at the LFS, but they color up nicely once they get used to your tank, as you can see in JC's pic. That's not to say that you can relax on your maintenance, but they're still less finicky. My GBR's just dropped dead on me for seemingly no reason. My perams were perfect, the tank had been established for a few months, and I bought them locally so they shouldn't have been stressed from pH differences. Have you checked out the GBR discussion thread? There's lots of info there that might help you.

Oh, and if you choose Bolivians, good luck sexing them LOL. Just hope you get 1m/2f. I still haven't figured out what sex my remaining 2 are, and I've had them for a couple of years. They've never spawned for me, so maybe they are both the same sex. Either way you go, make sure you provide plenty of hiding spots like caves and/or driftwood. They will appreciate being able to claim territories, and will spend lots of time chasing each other away, at least mine do. They prefer planted tanks, so you're definitely on the right track there.

BTW your rams all look great JC! I can't believe how much those Bolivians have grown!

Back
Top Bottom