Ram help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fisshboy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all i have what im sure is a female german blue ram and got 2 others today that look similar but as colorful im wondering if anyone could tell me if they are German blues and what sex they are. In the pics theres 3 rams, one thats more orange one thats more pinky and one thats mostly silver

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• image-2509112401.jpg
    image-2509112401.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 93
  • image-225433954.jpg
    image-225433954.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 82
  • image-4178151411.jpg
    image-4178151411.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 83
  • image-877944642.jpg
    image-877944642.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 80
Which one is a male? The gold looking one or the one pictured with the female with lots of pink?

Actually the two sticking together are both females. The red belly almost always is associated with a female. Also, when you look at the black spot on the side, the blue shiny specks that line the dot are a sure sign that the fish is a female. The lone fish in front of the wood is the male. The round nose (as opposed to slanty) usually indicates that the fish is male.

I got them from a very reputable breeder who sent me two pairs and an extra unsexed one. i know the signs of the sexes like a female will have a more elongated face and no raised rays on her back buts its know that males can have shiny scales and a pink belly

Right so these 2 are females?

Attachments

• image-417625122.jpg
    image-417625122.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 63
I think that the blue one could be a male otherwise I believe you have three females. None of the others look like they could be male. I find the that black spot can be difficult to tell since males will have blue when caught at the right angle but females will have a few scales that stand out really well in the spot. I do not think that it is a reliable way to tell

Correct. It can be a little difficult to tell the differences at first but give it a while you can spot them quite easily. Here is a good video I saw a little while back about sexing rams.

Also if you get any more rams the ideal ratio is two males to three females. Either way you're fine with what you have.

Hope this helps!

Can somebody, please, tell me if blue german rams can tolerate salt as treatment?
It's urgent, my ram has a white wound on his head, and I can't make a diagnosis, but want to do something now. I think salt won't do bad, if only they can tolerate it.

I treated my electric blue rams with salt I had no issues

Back
Top Bottom