Ram ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Starka

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys!

I was told this was a bolvilian ram but its a blue german, right? Is it male or female? He/she is soo pretty I might think about getting me some.
Sorry for the flashy pics he wouldn't sit still for me ;)
Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120225_160033.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120225_160033.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 87
  • ForumRunner_20120225_160055.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120225_160055.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 86
  • ForumRunner_20120225_160124.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120225_160124.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 91
  • ForumRunner_20120225_160154.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120225_160154.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 86
  • ForumRunner_20120225_160224.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120225_160224.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 84
  • ForumRunner_20120225_160259.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120225_160259.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 84
Thank you!
He/she is a trouble maker. Thru and thru. ;)
I QT for two weeks no problem then I put it in my big tank and gave everyone ick :/
After that she/he has been happy ever since. About two months now.
Though I've tried to sex it and I can't tell it seems to have both.

That's definitely a blue ram (Microgeophagus ramirezi) and I'm 100% sure it is a male. He looks very nice and is a quality ram. Nice find.

Also note the appearance of black on the edges of the pelvic fins. Many people assume that this feature is only seen on females, but I've often said otherwise and have seen numerous examples, including here once again, where males of this species exhibit such coloration. Nice, healthy looking black spots on the body too. It is very well pronounced here and typically it isn't seen in such a bold display.

Looks like a male to me too.

This is what my boy looks like.

original.jpg

bs6749 said:
Also note the appearance of black on the edges of the pelvic fins. Many people assume that this feature is only seen on females, but I've often said otherwise and have seen numerous examples, including here once again, where males of this species exhibit such coloration. Nice, healthy looking black spots on the body too. It is very well pronounced here and typically it isn't seen in such a bold display.

Thank you. That is what was getting confused. To me I thought it was a male because it looked like he was strutting his stuff, but the black on the fins were throwing me off that and he didn't have that rosy color. Thank you for clearing that up for me :)
How can you tell its male?

Starka said:
Thank you. That is what was getting confused. To me I thought it was a male because it looked like he was strutting his stuff, but the black on the fins were throwing me off that and he didn't have that rosy color. Thank you for clearing that up for me :)

His black dot is not see through and males have a slight blue on there bottom fin,

Many things. First of all, I noticed that he is of good stock and a fish that size is male when it comes to Microgeophagus ramirezi. Secondly, the length of his pelvic fins. If you imagine them folding against the belly, they would extend past the start of the anal fin, which is almost never seen in females. A closer look at the ends of the pelvic fins shows that they taper off into thin points, which is more predominant in males. Again, with quality rams, had you had a female she would have pink on her belly and this one did not. Also females are usually slightly more plump in the area along the belly just behind where the yellow color stops, indicating egg formation/holding. Prominent dorsal rays are also usually only seen in males.

Males and females both have the same colors to their fins, and both can have blue spots over the black circles. There is absolutely no guarantee that blue spots over a black circle indicates that the fish is a female, especially in bloodlines that are far from wild stock.

Cool! Now I at least know what to look for incase I want a female, which I am still debating on.
Thanks everyone :)

Back
Top Bottom