Rambling about Hybrids.......and Mutt's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mdawg75

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I hear and do understand that Hybrids Like Mutts or Heinz 57 as we called them (dogs) took away from the pure bred, but some Mutts were found to be better in health because of the overbreeding or hereditary disease in pure bred's. Some Mutts were so much more loyal and worth keeping as any purebreed. So I look to Hybrids, I was just reading about a possible Hap and Yellow Lab I think breeding, what if, well it would be some pretty and colorful fish in my Opinion. There are soooo many Cichlids out there I cannot tell the difference in many anyway, so why not have some beautiful little hybrids as long as they are labled Hybrids and not pure bred I say to all.....................................WHY NOT. ok thats all we return you to your normally scheduled program :)

Please feel free to tell my why i'm wrong or if you agree.

i agree fully. i do love the variation in species and how they stick to their styles so we can i dentify, but as long as fish are labelled hybrids i think its interesting. but giving them to a lfs wouldnt be fair as they would try to identify the fish and maybe sell them on as what they really are not.
i want to see some sort of cynotilapia afra and orange peacock hybrid, but id only keep them as my own experiment.

:) ya definatley . I agree that we do NOT pass them off to LFS or to someone as a Rare F1 species :) but just love Our hybrids. I am now the president of the He-man Love our hybrids club. lol

I am a big supporter of line breeding and keeping strains pure. That being said, I don't have an issue with hybrids so long as those hybrids stay in your own personal tanks and don't end up being sold to private parties or to LFS.

yeah - personal only, not a business. howver there is the issue of their characteristics crossing, like a male auratus with a female blue ahli for example. a craaazy example.
they have lots of different requirements, and the fins may be too small for the body or the gills arent rapid enough as its just a big jumble of genes. so its luck and chance, but a lot of bad things can happen.

Cichlid hybrids are different from dog mutts. Whether you have a mixed dog of undetermined lineage, or a purebred, they both belong to the same species.

Hybrids are the offspring of different species and genera all together; a canid hybrid would be something like a fox x dog cross or a wolf x jackal cross.

Cichlid hybrids can provide some interesting results (I posted this link in an earlier thread today, it's in french but the species names should be familiar): horreurs hybrides

:) ya definatley . I agree that we do NOT pass them off to LFS or to someone as a Rare F1 species :) but just love Our hybrids. I am now the president of the He-man Love our hybrids club. lol

Mike our clubs are going to have a rumble after school, no guns just knives and chains, and maybe a trident or two for Brick.

Everyone who knows me knows my distaste for hybrids when there are over 2500 cichlids available that are being diminished and wearing them down by breaking down the pure strains. Then demand kicks in and everyone is off the races trying to isolate the magic glow in the dark resessive gene to mass produce brothers and sisters in the race to make another marketing abomination like the flowerhorns.This week it's EBJD, and everyone knows these are far more fragile fish than a regular JD with the majority not living past 3-4", these fish are born with traits that are shortening their lives. Line breed, mix specimens from other sources, and continue what mother nature intended. We truly have a duty to perform and I hope everyone makes the right desicion to stop the continuation of hybrids for profit, over and cross breeding, and continuing the cycle that Mother Nature intended.

I have to say simply that I don't see the point in the hybrids. If you want to produce offspring, why not buy multiples of the same fish? Its no more expensive then buying two different fish. But then I guess I've always been more of a fan of a species dedicated tank too. I really fail to see the point of a lab x hap hybrid; kind of like crossing a crossing a Bermese Mt. dog with a poodle to produce a mutt hybrid. but thats just my opinion.

I have a lab and Hap that I am waiting on to see if they breed! I'm excited to see what happens. My blue Hap has been showing interest in my female yellow lab. And never will I give hybrids away that is all bad getting pure breed mixed up with hybrids. To do in ur own tank is fine as long as u keep them in ur tank!

I can see your point(s), very well taken and thats why I love it here. No one was rude and you make me think. Untill reading the replys I thought there were absolutly NO problems with Hybrids but now I see some.
Now know it started as me thinking just about MY tank and I had one have some Hybrid fry. Good points indeed.
Ok after a well placed Trident protruding from the back side I may disban my He-man Hybrid club but I still love MY hybrids :)

I'm probably going to have one set of hybrids and split my lab and Hap up into different tanks with the right mates. I would love to have some hybrids! I think they will be pretty and all mine. :)

LOL but to faint the Opponet drawing them in the zone, while making them think they have the upper hand. :) sounds like some Sun Tzu stuff right there.

Back
Top Bottom