Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-30-2006, 09:50 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to petunia100
Rams and Apistos

I have a 55 gallon that currently has

1 dwarf blue gourami
2 buenos aries tetras
3 lemon tetras
5 pristnella tetras
6 neon tetras (am wanting to increase this to about nine)
3 german blue rams (2 male 1 female)
3 julii cories
4 panda cories
3 pygmy cories

I was wanting to eventually find a new home for the gourami and buenos aries tetras. And once I did I was wanting to get at least 2 more female blue rams.

I was wanting to add a pair or two of apistos, but my lfs said that he had not had good experiences mixing apistos and rams, that the apistos bullied the rams but the biggest tank he had was a 29 gallon. Has anyone here hand problems or successes mixing apistos and rams? If so is there a particular apisto that I should look for or avoid? I don't know how many pairs I could put in a 55 gallon maybe 2 pairs of rams is too much already? The tank is fairly heavily planted with lots of hiding places.

Also I have seen what is called "golden rams" at the lfs, is this just a color variation? Will they pair with my blue rams? The female and one of the males have paired up and keep chasing the other male away from their little hideaway.

I'm not terribly interested in breeding and I think my tetras would eat pretty much any eggs, but I would like to spread the stress on the females out so I am looking to get more pretty soon.

The tank has been set up for six months and has had no major problems.

Thanks for your help!

Old 01-30-2006, 10:04 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

I won't be able to give you a definitive yes or no regarding mixing the rams and apisto's but from what I have seen and heard, they aren't the best of tankmates.

The Gold variant that they have may be a distant cousin of the German Blue or could in fact be a Bolivian. If they are Bolivians, you should see distinct black stripes along the face (similar to the German Blue) and red highlights in the dorsal fins. Unlike the Bolivian, the Gold and German Blues often spawn together (thus weakening the gene pool, but that's another topic). Increasing your German Blue Ram stock is a far better idea. FWIW, I have German Blues and Bolivians (juvies) in my 75 gal., no issues as yet.

Old 01-30-2006, 01:22 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to sherry
you can always get a definative answer on what pairs with what on www.apistogramma.com. those guys have essentially tried it all
Old 01-30-2006, 02:18 PM   #4

I have 3 german blue rams in a 55gal tank with 6 pairs of apistogramma

3 x Blue rams
1p Apisto cocakto full red
1pApisto Panduro + 1f
2p Apisto Nijsseni
1p Apisto Aggassie red tail
1p Aoisto Borelli

The rams stay more to the top area of the plants. The Apisto's stay at the bottom of the tank. They both need a planted tank. Mid to heavly. The rule is with Apisto's each pair need at least a 10gal of space on the bottom to make it's terrtory.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:35 PM   #5

[img]
Here's my male ram going on 6months old
Here's my cockto apisto pair and panduro all in the same tank.

Old 01-30-2006, 02:38 PM   #6

There home
[/img]
Old 01-30-2006, 02:50 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to sherry
weasel.. the cacatoides.. what color are their pectoral fins?
Old 01-30-2006, 03:15 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

First, rams are apistos. Apistogramma is the genus and Ramerizi is the species. There are many species in the genus Apistogramma. Depending upon which you are referring will determine the answer.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:45 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

You are definitely correct there Brian. What has happened over time (and I cannot speak for everyone) is folks have mentally separated the exotic SA cichlids away from the Rams. When folks say apistos, they are definitely not referring to Rams. It may need to be discontinued as I know I'm guilty of doing this.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:57 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to petunia100
There are photos of my rams in my gallery, check them out they are doing really well. The photo of my tank is in there also, however, I have added quite a few more plants since that photo was taken. Aren't ramerizi members of the Microgeophagus genus? Making them more closely related to bolivians than members of the genus Apistogramma? I was thinking about adding a pair of Apistogramma agassizii "Double red" and/or Apistogramma nijsseni and/or Apistogramma trifasciata (probably just two of these or two pairs of one). That would give me two pairs of apistos and two pairs of M. ramirezi, and an assortment of tetras. I would probably just add a pair at a time, I don't want to dump a bunch of pairs in there all at once. Does this sound okay?

Tags
api, rams

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com