Rams laying eggs! Idk what to do

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

squirrilah fish

Aquarium Advice Addict
I noticed today my ram is laying eggs all over, but I'm pretty sure so have two females. I'll post some pics. I'm out of my league here, I have only dealt with mouth broilers. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398048984.276756.jpgthe pair
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398049001.522240.jpgthe eggs
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398049026.221666.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398049035.259777.jpg

They are, laying eggs is all but a fruitless task without a male to fertilize...

So they are both females right? It's causing a bit of disturbance because the tank mates are trying like hell to eat em, and the rams are trying to fight everyone off.

And I've been back and forth, when they were new I thought I had a male and a female, and then someone on here said they were both females, but the way they are defending the nest, they are definitely working together.

They look to both be females, both have nice pink bellies??? It's new to me that they'd work together as females to defend the eggs..

Ya while the one lays the other circles and chases off any attackers, or they'll both attack together.

Should I take the eggs out, I'm worried someone is going to get killed? It's really not that violent, but it's persistent.

May as well .. Unless you really want fry??? In the off chance they hatch???

Ya I'm going to keep an eye it. I am set up to deal with fry, i have a nursery on hand. I turned out the light that seemed to help a little.

I've never had rams before, I've never had anything other than tiny little tropical fish, and African cichlids.

Females DO have the red/pink bellies.. Males definitely do not. The males also tend to be bigger and have longer and showy dorsal and caudal fins.. Hope this helps a little!

Ps: I'm speaking from experience with paired rams

After I turned the lights off everyone calmed down. Like I said, my experience is only with live bearers and mouth brooders. I read up a bunch on Rams last night though. And just as I discovered, after no make cane around she abondoned the nest, and the rest of the fish had a feeding frenzy, kinda sad. But no one died, or got eaten.
I wonder if the two females fighting off intruders together was a unique thing. I'll try to get it on film if it happens again.
Thanks everyone.

Back
Top Bottom