Ready for stocking!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichlidjon

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay here it goes, I have a 55gal with crushed coral and black gravel substrate. Created some rock caves and have a large drift wood piece with areas to swim through, it's lightly planted, cycled, and ready to roll!:dance: After some exhaustive research I have a stock list so tell me what you think about compatibility and amounts. Just a fyi i used an aquarium calculator to get me started:eek: Here it is:
5 pseudotropheus flavus
5 aulonocara jacobfreibergi
5 rusties
5 maingano's
1 bn pleco
I have for filtration a fluval 306 and a whisper 60 hob that came with the tank. Take it apart and let me know what you think and in advance :thanks:

Cichlidjon said:
Okay here it goes, I have a 55gal with crushed coral and black gravel substrate. Created some rock caves and have a large drift wood piece with areas to swim through, it's lightly planted, cycled, and ready to roll!:dance: After some exhaustive research I have a stock list so tell me what you think about compatibility and amounts. Just a fyi i used an aquarium calculator to get me started:eek: Here it is:
5 pseudotropheus flavus
5 aulonocara jacobfreibergi
5 rusties
5 maingano's
1 bn pleco
I have for filtration a fluval 306 and a whisper 60 hob that came with the tank. Take it apart and let me know what you think and in advance :thanks:

First can I ask witch one of these
Line Bred Colour Morphs

Aulonocara jacobfreibergi "Eureka"

Aulonocara jacobfreibergi "Albino Eureka"

Aulonocara jacobfreibergi 'Australian Aquarium Population I'

Naturally Occuring Colour Morphs

Aulonocara jacobfreibergi 'Reginae'

Aulonocara jacobfreibergi 'Hongi Island'

Aulonocara jacobfreibergi 'Mbowe Island'

Aulonocara jacobfreibergi 'Cape Maclear'

Aulonocara jacobfreibergi 'Undu Reef'

Aulonocara jacobfreibergi 'Undu Reef'

Aulonocara jacobfreibergi 'Boadzulu Island'

Aulonocara jacobfreibergi 'Otter Point'

pseudotropheus flavus is aggressive and the rest of them are all mild to peaceful.

Hey thanks for replying. Of the auloncara's the Eureka color morph. And as respects the flavus thanks for the heads up he won't be included then. What about the stocking numbers? Are they okay? I kind of wanted to add a cuckoo catfish if I could.

7am in the morning garfy ;-( hopefully I can get my brother to pass my iPad in Wednesday,got my operation early morning ;-( NIL BY MOUTH now :-( just uploading apps on the iPad to keep me busy...

Cichlidjon said:
Hey thanks for replying. Of the auloncara's the Eureka color morph. And as respects the flavus thanks for the heads up he won't be included then. What about the stocking numbers? Are they okay? I kind of wanted to add a cuckoo catfish if I could.

Your good but if you replace the flavus try to find one that doesn't get as big like a cynotilapia of some sort.

Ok so another question would the villas be too big if I removed the BN and did 3 cuckoos? Also I like the idea of the cynotapia would one be okay or should I stock in a group of 5 to avoid aggression? Sorry for all the questions Iearn a ton here and I want to make sure I do this right!

Sorry for the bad spelling I was asking about the bio load being too big if I remove the bristle nose and add 3 cuckoos. Also I looked up e areas and they are beautiful what grouping shoulda put them in 5 or less?

Okay here's my revised stock list: 5 Eureka Peacock (aulonocara jacobfreibergi)
5 rusty (lodoteopheus sprenferae)
5 maingano (melanochromis cyaneorhabdos)
5 cynotilapia flavus (afra)
3 bristle nose
-4 females to 1 male ratio
Just to let y'all know I really appreciate everybody's help. Shoot his is even the first time I'm using these fishes scientific names!

Cichlidjon said:
Okay here's my revised stock list: 5 Eureka Peacock (aulonocara jacobfreibergi)
5 maingano (melanochromis cyaneorhabdos)
5 cynotilapia flavus (afra)
3 bristle nose
-4 females to 1 male ratio
Just to let y'all know I really appreciate everybody's help. Shoot his is even the first time I'm using these fishes scientific names!

What is cynotilapia flavus afra? Or are you saying replacing flavus with cynotilapia afra? Their are many afra so you'll need to pick one of them. Plus I would only do 1 bn and probably 2-3 eureka males. Stocking peacocks with mbuna is generally not a great idea.

Lol that's what I get for using scientific names! I meant replacing the flavus with a jalo reef afra. So now I'm looking at adjusting my list, (Yet again I know). Should I leave the eureka's out? I don't want to set them up to fail.

Well generally mbunas are more aggressive than peacocks. They.may not kill them but the stress alone will fade their colors more than likely so ya I think I'd leave them out and not replace them with anything. Just do more of the others if ya want, but the more you add the more bio load there will be.

This is what I'd do
7 maingano (melanochromis cyaneorhabdos)
7 cynotilapia Jalo reef (afra)
1 or 2 bristle nose

Last edited:
That sounds good. The one thing i'm trying to learn is better compatibility. That's where i went wrong in the past i think. Your list works for me, plenty of color and variety. Thanks so much for all of your help and I'll see you around the forums!

Cichlidjon said:
That sounds good. The one thing i'm trying to learn is better compatibility. That's where i went wrong in the past i think. Your list works for me, plenty of color and variety. Thanks so much for all of your help and I'll see you around the forums!

That's just what I would do out of the fish you listed if it was me I would get rid of the rusty. They blend in with the rock work and really do nothing for me. I like bright colors and would probably replace it with yellow labs or something else bright yellow or Orange. Good luck and yep ill see ya around :)

Back
Top Bottom