Recently re-arranged tank; aggression

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swifty

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently re-scaped my tank to fit in some new plants I bought, as well as level out the sand. The day I did it a few hours after they were all pretty stressed out, but were ok the next. Today I've been noticing my convict aggressively pursuing my firemouth.

Before the change, she would sometimes chase him, only to stop and rest near him. Most times they were near each other, or opposite sides of the tank just swimming by each other casually.

After the change, she isn't giving up chase as often, and will sometimes attempt to nip at him.

Is this the convict aggression I read so much about finally starting to show, or is it just the cichlids re-adjusting to the new territories and will this go away?

Before: http://i.imgur.com/CbP5NDah.jpg
and After: http://i.imgur.com/Ro4fs9Fh.jpg

The only other things I've done other than the re-scape was switch my jager heater out for an aqueon, and set the temp on that for 79-80, while the jager was set for 77-78.

I have also noticed one of my black skirts has his tailfin a bit nipped on.

Should I decrease temp, go back to old decor, wait it out, or remove the firemouth and/or convict? Everything was so much more peaceful before I changed it. I didn't like the way it looked but I'm starting to think I should've just left it like that.

This is a hard one I do changes often and about the first day or two they show more but then all goes peaceful I think u should wait it out for a day or two then update us and also that is a beautiful tank.

Well, I waited a few days, and so far it's returned to normal. By normal I mean the occasional chase, but nothing like that day. Later that same night I caught the firemouth's dorsal fin in the mouth of the convict. He's healed up pretty much 95%, and now they both seem to not mind each other, other than the occasional chase. The black skirt that was injured (not sure if convict, firemouth, or the other black skirts) is slowly healing as well.

Back
Top Bottom