Recommended filter for a 125 cichlid aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just picked up a used fx5 for $100! But I agree, it's worth spending a little extra on a great filter after all the investment you will have in the fish and everything else.

I run a rena xp4 and a xp2 on a 180 gallon and I have no problems and love them. But I have never tryed any other canisters because I've had these for years.

Ohhhh, i thought tge fx5 was 420 dollars. I misread the label. I do understand then. Sorry for the confusion lol.

I have a fx5 and 3 AC 110's on mine. I'll be moving one of the 110's back to a 55 after it helps sees the rest of the filters.

I defiantly recommend running more then 1 filter even if it is a fx5 just because of the "Incase factor"

And also I have to agree about the media in the 110's. I actually run all my 110's with cut in half(long ways) sponges, and two media bags. Those sponges are soooo over sized. And I have very messy fish.

JoeZ said:
I have always preferred the large canister filters over the HOB filters. That being said, there are a few things to consider...

1) Budget --- If you can't afford to buy the right filter, you are already starting behind the 8-ball in my opinion. You can absolutely run a tank with a smaller filter, and simply do larger, and more frequent water changes. That takes me to #2.

2) Time --- Who has time to do a 50% water change once a week????? I am lucky if I can do that once a month....and it's usually 2 x 5 gallon pails worth. For those who have tanks 100 and up, you're talking 50 gallons EVERY WEEK! While I think this will definitely help maintain a cleaner tank, sometimes you need to just let nature handle its business. I've found that the less you mess with an established ecosystem, the better and healthier it runs.

3) Fishload --- My plan is to stock this 125 pretty heavy. I am aware of the possible pitfalls going in. That being said, this is not my first rodeo (I really do hate that expression. LOL!!!). I've been keeping fish for almost 30 years. I have had set-ups that ranged from the most basic, to the most elaborate. I think if you're going to purchase a big tank that houses big fish (and a lot of them), you need something a with a little more power and capacity than a hang on the back unit. For those who disagree with that statement, please refer back to my comments #1 and #2.

Thoughts? Comments?......Let's have it :hide:

2 AC would equal the filtration capability of 1 FX5 and cut cost in half. Stick a bunch of media in canister, then the flow would drop by 10-30% depending on what is kept. Better filtration does not mean less water change. You can have the best filtration in the world, but weekly water changes are still needed. Weekly water changes are the standard of care on this forum and many other forums. Its the absolute most critical thing to do for extending a fish's life. HOB is equally as good as a canister because they basically do the same essential thing - pick up waste and hold anaerobic bacteria in the pads. It just does not make sense to buy a more expensive filter unless C02 is needed or waterfall noise is an annoyance (easy fix in most cases).

I've done some experiments with this since I'm a huge fan of filter floss. When running only floss and sponges the clarity of the water was still clear however there was a brownish/yellow hue to the color. As soon as I put my original media back into my canister the water has been crystal clear again.

Though I do agree with many of the above posts, that many medias sold are just a marketing gimmick, a little something is needed.

Terrance said:
Better filtration does not mean less water change. You can have the best filtration in the world, but weekly water changes are still needed. Weekly water changes are the standard of care on this forum and many other forums. Its the absolute most critical thing to do for extending a fish's life.

Couldn't agree more. I'm running 1200 gph through my sump, a fluval 305, and 2 AC 70's. All of this running and I still do a minimum of 70% pwc each week.

Back
Top Bottom