Red ceibals & Surinemensis experience

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sidman24

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Does anyone know much about these fish? My fish store is getting some in and I was thinking of adding either of them to my 75 gallon community tank. It's a mostly peaceful tank with angels, a krib, a firemouth, and rams for cichlids. I read both of this fish are pretty docile... But that's just the internet! Feedback would be appreciated! I really like the red ceibals :)

The red ceibal might work, but if I remember correctly they can be conspecific aggressive. As for the Surinamensis, they are most likely abalios, as true Surinamensis are extremely rare in the hobby, as they are rarely exported out of Suriname. At any rate, a 75 could not support a proper group. A 6' would be the minimum for a group of these IMO as they hit the 10" mark and are extremely social when young

Does anyone know much about these fish? My fish store is getting some in and I was thinking of adding either of them to my 75 gallon community tank. It's a mostly peaceful tank with angels, a krib, a firemouth, and rams for cichlids. I read both of this fish are pretty docile... But that's just the internet! Feedback would be appreciated! I really like the red ceibals :)
I'm not too familiar with red ciebals but that they are mildly aggressive and get around 6-7". As for the surinamensis, usually they are mistaken with geo altifrons. Surinamensis are pretty hard to find, their tails are striped and altifrons have a spots on their tail. Geos love sand substrate that can sift through. Usually they like to be in groups. If you like geos go with red head tapajo. They usually around 5".

I figured the Surinemensis would be too big... Any more opinions about the red?

I figured the Surinemensis would be too big... Any more opinions about the red?

I had never heard of the reds before so I googled them and wow what gorgeous fish. Every single comment I read says extremely hard to find. Do you have access to these fish?

I had never heard of the reds before so I googled them and wow what gorgeous fish. Every single comment I read says extremely hard to find. Do you have access to these fish?
Read the start of the thread ;)

Red ceibal are a larger fish, and have some good sized teeth to them. I'd be weary to add them given your current stock, and you may have some issues with the dwarves. That isn't a fact or guarantee, they could work, but it would be a bit of a risk IMO

I know I read they are rare too! That's why I would love one! And yes my fish store has then.

I know I read they are rare too! That's why I would love one! And yes my fish store has then.

Wow you are lucky! The impulsive voice in my head say go for it!

I hope my lfs get some in this winter. I am reading this is the time of year they become more available. I think they would look good withe my JD's and Firemouths.

This is taken from another forum, but sums up what I've been trying to get across...

"I'm keeping them for 2 years now, with breeding

They eat anything. pelletized food, but also fish - I've lost some sworttails to them.

The tank: In Uruguay all Australoheros spend their time amongst plants, so provide them plants, please. I nevrer saw them destroy them. further the normal things - shelter and so on

They are very slow growing, but reach large sizes. They are, however, quite hard to combine with other fish. Corydoras paleatus are OK, Ancistrus, Hoypostomus idem, but I dare not try other fishes.

They breed easily, after a cool winter. I normally have them in winder (September/October to May) indoors in an unheated tank, in a room with the window constantly open. The temp will, I estimate, drop for 3 months below 16 degrees. In summer they are outdoors where they breed.

Last sumeer I placed 4 in a 1 square meter tank, the same they spend the previous summer in. However, 2 started flowing, and in the end of summer, I found only 2 - however 1 was of another species, and all the fry are, I think, hybrids. I'm glad I still have some youngh ones (born in 2007, but were in spring too small to sell)"

And this picture is from a member on a local forum I used to frequent, but can be found on a google search. These have some nasty teeth that easily can take down small fish. These were being temporarily housed with their pond fish.

img_2726224_0_f9d26cf4595e71c8e7d1907135315280.jpg

Maybe I'll just stick to the keyholes... My original cichlid I was going to add haha

Those would be a much better add to your stock IMO, Red Ceibals do better when housed with some of the bigger species, as they can hold their own against them

Back
Top Bottom