Red devil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
cichlidbreeder321 said:
Just got a red devil any imformation about him thankd

Red devil cichlids are energetic and can be aggressive. They are best not kept with small fish as they will be eaten by the "Devil" :lol: . U can have other fish with them along as they are in the same aggressive level and are the same size. If u do want to breed them they are best kept alone as they get VERY defensive while they are in the "process".

Jaguar cichlids are a very aggressive cichlids. But with these cichlids it's a trial and error. As jaguars have been known to be with silver dollars, convict cichlids, and some pleco's. Some jaguars have been known to kill fish larger then them and are very territorial. The tank should have lots of hiding places and lots of decorations so the fish can claim its territory. While they are matting u can but a net divider in the tank but jaguars have been known to rip through the netting.

Jaguar cichlids are a very aggressive cichlids. But with these cichlids it's a trial and error. As jaguars have been known to be with silver dollars, convict cichlids, and some pleco's. Some jaguars have been known to kill fish larger then them and are very territorial. The tank should have lots of hiding places and lots of decorations so the fish can claim its territory. While they are matting u can but a net divider in the tank but jaguars have been known to rip through the netting.

Some places are recommand Jaguars as tank mates for Red devils as both are as agressive as the others :)

Well im about to put a jaguar in my tank with my red devil an right i have it with 2 jack dempsey and its doing fine

Say good bye to the JDs once that jag grows up.

They are without a doubt my favorite cichlid and I kept a jag for many years, he finally died at like 9-10 years old.

But....

He was the meanest fish I'd ever had.

When I first brought him home he was about 3 inches long. He killed off everything in the tank. I had him in a 150 with juvi JDs and convicts (which are evil on their own) Within 7 days, everyone was dead.

When I moved, I had him in a bucket, he was about 4 years old. A dog I had at the time thought he'd drink water from the bucket instead of the dog dish. I heard a yelp and looked at the dog who had his tongue hanging out of his mouth. There were little spots of blood on the tip of his tongue where the jag had bitten him.

When I'd open the tank lid to drop in feeders, this fish would jump, grab the feeder and land on the floor, outside the tank.

He had hole in the head 4 times before the age of 7 (prior to me realizing feeders carry disease) and got meaner after each round.

But like HUKIT, I'm highly curious about the size of tank. That is a lot of big fish and big attitude.

Ya but its only temp in a few months im getting a 55

Each one of those fish require a minimum of a 55g, and your going to combine them into a small space. You really need to research your fish selections prior to purchase better with such a small tank those fish have no business in there. They may be small now but they can each hit the 12-18" mark. Their going to kill each other, not to mention the poor water conditions that may occur leading to other health issues. I'm sorry if this sounds harsh but there's no other way of putting it.

Everyone on here has made mistakes like this at somepoint or another, so learn from what we have to say or other sites. There are literally thousands of websites to help research fish. I don't know how many times I'm on my iPhone at a LFS researching fish. You obviously care about fish so for their sake do the right thing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom