Red Empress Fading!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cole_russell

Aquarium Advice Freak
I turned on my lights this morning and my empress seems to have faded significantly over the last few days ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406922652.366536.jpg
Fully colored he's beautiful but right now he's looking kind of dull in comparison. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406923062.937321.jpgsorry the pic is kind of bad he's on a tirade right now. It's definitely the dominate fish in the tank. Yet it's still fading, the only thing I can think of is that today is the day for the usual wc and it's stressed out let me know what you all think!

Are you saying the second is "faded"? Cause the first pic is stress markings. The second is a more relaxed state...

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Well see now I feel like an idiot. I'm thinking it's stressed and it's just vibin'.

A dominant male usually won't have the pattern. You can also tell by the position he's holding his fins at. Top they are clamped, bottom they are spread out and open

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Ya second pic is what you want. He's just getting settled in, you've only had him like a week now right?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

A little less than 2 weeks I think, but really good to know! I thought the pattern was a good thing! Still very new to cichlids so forgive me.

Awesome looking fish by the way! I'm new to cichlids too. :) I've read that although they are pretty fish anyway - their colors are more vibrant and fins are spread when they are establishing dominance/territory or just plain old fighting. That it can even just be used as a warning. Like if he's chilling somewhere and another comes up he may do that just to say hey back off.

I have a jack Dempsey, a jewel, and 3 convicts (one being female) and currently paired off and sharing a cave where I'm sure I'll have fry soon.

Nice! He seems pretty chill, although he can be a real jerk if he feels like it.

Back
Top Bottom